The rackmount Universal Audio Apollo x8 is an 18 x 24 Thunderbolt 3 audio interface lets you track and mix with four Unison-enabled preamps powered by UA’s HEXA Core UAD plug-in processing, and featuring flagship A/D - D/A conversion, proprietary ultra low-jitter Dual-Crystal clocking, and 7.1 surround sound monitoring (Mac or PC).
An excellent interface for the desktop musician tracking one or two voices and instruments in stereo, or up to a four-voice ensemble at a time etc., the UA Apollo x8 has four Unison-enables preamps that let you track in real time with UAD’s powerful six-chip HEXA Core DSP powered-plug-in processing at near-zero latency. Imagine the possibilities: Track and mix with the authentic sound of Neve®, SSL®, Manley®, and more along withy eight channels of class-leading A/D to D/A featuring the lowest noise and widest dynamic range of any converters at all price ranges. The Apollo x8 is built not just for the those who work on their own, but for professional studios as well. Along with front-panel talkback and metering, the Apollo x8 has a selectable operating level at up to +24dBu for connectivity with consoles and tape machines, plus it enables monitoring in 7.1 surround. To get your started, the Apollo x8 comes with the UAD Realtime Analog Classics Plus plug-in bundle, and as your studio grows, it lets you combine up to four Apollo interfaces via Thunderbolt. If you’ve been looking for a world-class studio in a box, an Apollo x8 in your rack means you’ve found it.
Universal Audio Apollo x8—Just the Facts:
- 18 x 24 Thunderbolt 3 audio interface with class-leading 24-bit/192 KHz conversion (backwards compatible with Thunderbolt 1 & 2 on Mac)
- Realtime UAD HEXA Core Processing for tracking through UAD plug-ins at near-zero latency, regardless of audio buffer size
- Record through 4 Unison-enabled mic/line preamps — giving you fully authentic preamp emulations from Neve, API, Manley, SSL, and more
- Surround monitor controller up to 7.1 format
- Includes the "Realtime Analog Classics Plus" UAD plug-in bundle (other UAD plug-ins sold separately)
- UAD HEXA Core processing onboard for additional mixing horsepower for Pro Tools, Logic, Cubase, Ableton, and other major DAWs
- Combine up to 4 Thunderbolt-equipped Apollos and 6 total UAD devices
- Selectable +24dBu operation for easy compatibility with professional mixing consoles and tape machines
- Convenient front panel monitoring functions including Alt Speakers, Talkback mic, and assignable Dim or Mono
- Free, industry-leading technical support — on the phone and online — from knowledgeable audio engineers
Universal Audio Apollo x8—Under the Hood
Unison Technology: The authentic sound of Neve, API, and Manley preamps
Perfect for electronic musicians and post production professionals who don’t require tons of mic inputs, Apollo x8 features four Unison-enabled mic preamps the enable you to track through exacting mic preamp emulations from Neve, API, Manley, Helios, SSL, and Universal Audio. A Universal Audio exclusive, Unison technology nails the tone of these sought-after tube and solid state mic pres—including their input impedance, gain stage “sweet spots,” and the component-level circuit behaviors of the original hardware.
The secret to Unison is its hardware-software integration between Apollo’s mic preamps and its onboard HEXA Core DSP Acceleration. Simply place a Unison preamp plug-in on your mic input in Apollo Console software, and it physically reconfigures the Apollo interface's impedance so you can tap into the classic sounds of the world’s most recorded mic preamps.
UA’s flagship A/D-D/A conversion and dual crystal clocks
With thousands of chart-topping songs and hundreds of Grammy-winning albums under their belt, Apollo interfaces are no strangers to tracking stellar-sounding records. To improve on the previous generation Apollo interface’s class-leading audio conversion, UA engineers obsessively auditioned the latest A/D and D/A converters — ultimately pairing elite-class 24-bit/192 kHz converters with all-new analog circuitry for an ultra-pristine signal path.
The Apollo X series also introduces new Dual-Crystal clocking. Rather than forcing one crystal clock to handle unrelated frequencies (i.e. 44.1kHz as opposed to 48kHz), the Apollo x8 one crystal dedicated for 44.1/88.2/176.4kHz, and one for 48/96/192kHz sample rates. The dual crystal configuration results in stunningly low jitter, measured at 6 picoseconds. This translates into pure, artifact-free recordings and solid stereo imaging you can trust. With its 133dB dynamic range and THD+N of -129 dB, the Apollo x8’s open, natural sound quality bests every interface in its class regardless of price. and is the perfect starting point for applying UAD processing.
Realtime UAD HEXA Core processing
Apollo x8 features new HEXA Core processing, with six DSP chips, which gives you 50% more UAD plug-in processing power than found in previous Apollo interfaces. This lets you run more UAD plug-ins, whether you’re tracking in real time with channel strips from Neve, Manley, or API, or running high UAD plug-in counts when mixing in your DAW.
From the tube warmth of Pultec EQs on guitars to the musical tube-limiting of the LA-2A compressor on vocals, or the pump of a genuine 1176 or Fairchild 670 tube compressor on drums, your recordings will take a giant leap forward with a rich, three-dimensional analog sound that UAD plug‑ins provide.
A full suite of classic analog processing onboard
Of course, a hallmark feature of Apollo is its Realtime UAD Processing, which in lieu of owning a 6-figure recording studio, lets you run the full library of UAD plug-ins with near-zero latency for an astoundingly competitive sound. Apollo x8 includes the Realtime Analog Classics Plus plug-in bundle, so you can record and mix with the world’s only authentic Teletronix LA-2A, 1176LN, and Fairchild compressors, Pultec EQs, and many more.
Surround monitoring, artist talkback, and more
The Apollo x8 features built-in front-panel monitoring functions including a Talkback mic, Alt Speakers, and assignable Dim or Mono control. Plus, with its comprehensive 7.1 surround monitoring support, Apollo x8 is a boon for engineers and producers working on audio and music for video games, television, and the web. In addition, Apollo x8 offers selectable +24 dBu operation for out-of-the-box compatibility with professional mixing consoles and other high-end pro audio equipment.
Scalable capabilities via Thunderbolt connectivity
Apollo x8 offers 18 x 24 simultaneous inputs/outputs (8 x 8 analog I/O) and two built-in Thunderbolt 3 ports. Backward compatible with Thunderbolt 1 & 2, if you have previous generation Thunderbolt-equipped Apollo Twin or Apollo rackmount audio interfaces you can add an Apollo X, which is automatically found and accounted for in Apollo’s control software. Plus, you can save configurations. You can easily combine up to four Apollos and six total UAD-2 devices—adding fast, high-bandwidth I/O and DSP as your studio grows.
Your UAD library card
Going beyond the included Realtime Analog Classics Plus plug-ins, Apollo x8 lets you tap into the full UAD Powered Plug-In library of legendary vintage EQs, compressors, reverbs, tape machines, channel strips, and more — at near-zero latency, regardless of your audio software’s buffer size and without taxing your computer’s CPU.
With exclusive emulations from SSL, Neve, Studer, Manley, Helios, API, Ampex, Lexicon, Fender, and more, it’s like having a studio full of iconic analog gear, in a single rack space. And unlike competing interfaces, these award-winning DSP-powered plug-ins are also available in your DAW for mixing.
Who’s using the Universal Audio Apollo
Apollo is the confirmed choice of hit-making professionals, used to record landmark albums by Kendrick Lamar (DAMN.), Chris Stapleton (From A Room: Volume 1), Arcade Fire (Everything Now), Post Malone (Beerbongs & Bentleys), and many more. The Apollo range of interfaces has earned numerous industry awards from Sound on Sound, Future Music, and Electronic Musician—as well as the prestigious 2016 TEC Award for computer audio hardware.
What the pros are saying about the Apollo X
WOW! I thought the second-generation Apollos were great, but these new Apollo X models sound so good, they will redefine the way records are made.” — Jacquire King (James Bay, Kings of Leon, Tom Waits)
“This is the best-sounding Universal Audio D/A ever. By far. It has an extra octave of clear bottom, but it's not hyped. It's just very solid and full. It's like there’s no converter generated signature at all. It’s completely open and natural.” — Fab Dupont (David Crosby, Shakira, Santigold)
“I love my new Apollo x8p! I can mix without worrying about the amount of plug-ins I use, and the new converters reveal the most subtle details when I record. One of the best upgrades that I’ve added in a long time.” —Derek ‘MixedByAli’ Ali (Kendrick Lamar, SZA, Childish Gambino)
“Apollo’s next-gen A/D and D/A conversion sounds incredibly detailed, with great clarity, tighter, punchier low end. And with the Console 2.0 app, I have all of the routing and monitoring options I need.” — Dave Pensado (Beyoncé, Justin Timberlake, Maroon 5)
“The Apollo has some of the better preamps I've ever heard—lots of headroom, quiet at high-gains, and the converters are really sweet sounding.” — Mick Guzauski (Daft Punk, Mariah Carey, Eric Clapton)
Universal Audio’s Apollo x-series interfaces fulfill the dream of having a studio in a box. If you’re ready to make commercially competitive records in the comfort of our own home, the Apollo x8 is for you. Order yours today. For more information, call or chat online with your PAD Studio Specialist today.
- UA 610-B Preamp
- Marshall Plexi Classic Amplifier
- Fairchild 670
- Legacy Teletronix LA-2A
- Legacy UA 1176LN
- Legacy UA 1176SE
- Legacy Pultec EQP-1A
- Legacy Pultec Pro
- Legacy Ampeg® SVT-VR Classic Bass Amp
- Precision Channel Strip
- Precision Reflection Engine
- Precision Delay Modulation
- Precision Delay Modulation L
- UA Precision Enhancer Hz
- Raw Distortion
- Line Inputs: 8 Balanced ¼" TRS
- Microphone Inputs: 4 Balanced XLR
- Instrument (Hi-Z) Inputs: 2 Unbalanced ¼" TS
- Digital Inputs (Optical TOSLINK): ADAT (8 channels @ 44.1–96kHz, 4 channels @ 176.4–192kHz
- Digital Inputs (RCA): S/PDIF (2 channels @ 44.1–192 kHz)
A to D Conversion
- Dynamic Range: 122 dB (A-weighted)
- THD+N: -115dB (0.00019%)
- Frequency Response: 20Hz–20kHz, ±0.05dB
- Dynamic Range: 123dB (A-weighted)
- THD+N: -113dB (0.00022%)
- Frequency Response: 20Hz–20kHz, ±0.04dB
- Line outputs: 8 Balanced ¼" TRS
- Monitor outputs: 2 Balanced ¼" TRS
- Headphone outputs: 2 Stereo ¼" TRS
- Digital Outputs (Optical TOSLINK): ADAT (8 channels @ 44.1–96kHz, 4 channels @ 176.4–192kHz)
- Digital Outputs (RCA): S/PDIF (2 channels @ 44.1 to 192kHz)
D to A Conversion
- Dynamic Range: 129dB (A-weighted)
- THD+N: -118dB (0.00011%)
- Frequency Response: 20Hz–20kHz, ±0.07dB
- Dynamic Range: 129dB (A-weighted)
- THD+N: -118dB (0.00012%)
- Frequency Response: 20Hz–20kHz, ±0.06dB
- Dynamic Range: 125dB (A-weighted)
- THD+N: -102dB (0.00080%)
- Frequency Response: 20Hz–20kHz, ±0.05dB
- Thunderbolt 3 cable (not included)
- Internet connection to download software and authorize UAD plug-ins
- 6 gigabytes available storage
- Quad Core i7 or better processor recommended
- Available Thunderbolt 1, 2, or 3 port
- Thunderbolt 1 and 2 connections require an Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter (not included)
- macOS 10.12 Sierra, 10.13 High Sierra, or 10.14 Mojave
- Available Thunderbolt 3 port
- Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (64-Bit Edition)