The Universal Audio Apollo x16 is a 16-channel A/D to D/A Thunderbolt 3 audio interface with UA’s class-leading, flagship conversion, HEXA Core processing for UAD powered plug-ins, 7.1 surround monitoring, and ultra low-jitter Dual-Crystal clocking for Mac/PC
Fun Fact: NASA’s Apollo 11 mission placed a retro-reflector on the moon, subsequently proving Einstein’s special relativity theory to six decimal places—But you don’t have Einstein to figure out that Universal Audio’s Apollo x16 audio interface is a complete no-brainer. If your theory is to track, overdub, and mix with UA audio quality, Powered Plug-in processing, and class-leading conversion featuring the world’s widest dynamic range and lowest noise, Apollo x16 offers all the proof you need. Of course, you can’t properly evaluate conversion without taking the analog side into account, which is where UA’s 60-year legacy of audio excellence comes into play. But that’s just a part of what you get with the Apollo x16. It also includes UAD’s HEXA Core processor, featuring six DSP chips for running more UAD plug-ins in real time. An 18 x 24 interface with 16 x 16 analog I/O over DB-25 connectors plus AES/EBU I/O, the scalable Apollo x16 supports Thunderbolt 3 (backward compatibility with 1 & 2), 7.1 surround monitoring, scalable +24dBu operation to interface with professional consoles, and also includes a talkback mic for artist communication.
Universal Audio Apollo x16—Just the Facts:
- 18 x 20 Thunderbolt 3 audio interface with class-leading 24-bit/192 KHz conversion (backwards compatible with Thunderbolt 1 & 2 on Mac)
- HEXA Core Realtime UAD Processing for tracking through UAD plug-ins at near-zero latency, regardless of audio buffer size
- Surround monitor controller up to 7.1 format
- Includes the "Realtime Analog Classics Plus" UAD plug-in bundle (other UAD plug-ins sold separately)
- UAD-2 HEXA Core processing onboard for additional mixing horsepower for Pro Tools, Logic, Cubase, Ableton, and other major DAWs
- Combine up to 4 Thunderbolt-equipped Apollos and 6 total UAD devices
- Selectable +24 dBu operation for easy compatibility with professional mixing consoles and tape machines
- Convenient front panel monitoring functions including Alt Speakers, Talkback mic, and assignable Dim or Mono
- Uncompromising UA analog design, superior components, and premium build quality
- Free, industry-leading technical support—on the phone and online—from knowledgeable audio engineers
Universal Audio Apollo x16—Under the Hood
UA’s flagship A/D-D/A conversion and dual crystal clocks
With thousands of chart-topping songs and hundreds of Grammy-winning albums under their belt, Apollo interfaces are no strangers to tracking stellar-sounding records. To improve on the previous generation Apollo interface’s class-leading audio conversion, UA engineers obsessively auditioned the latest A/D and D/A converters — ultimately pairing elite-class 24-bit/192 kHz converters with all-new analog circuitry for an ultra-pristine signal path.
The Apollo X series also introduces new Dual-Crystal clocking. Rather than forcing one crystal clock to handle unrelated frequencies (i.e. 44.1kHz as opposed to 48kHz), the Apollo x16 one crystal dedicated for 44.1/88.2/176.4kHz, and one for 48/96/192kHz sample rates. The dual crystal configuration results in stunningly low jitter, measured at 6 picoseconds. This translates into pure, artifact-free recordings and solid stereo imaging you can trust. With its 133dB dynamic range and THD+N of -129 dB, the Apollo x16’s open, natural sound quality bests every interface in its class regardless of price. and is the perfect starting point for applying UAD processing.
Realtime UAD HEXA Core processing
Apollo x16 features new HEXA Core processing, with six DSP chips, which gives you 50% more UAD plug-in processing power than found in previous Apollo interfaces. This lets you run more UAD plug-ins, whether you’re tracking in real time with channel strips from Neve, Manley, or API, or running high UAD plug-in counts when mixing in your DAW.
From the tube warmth of Pultec EQs on guitars to the musical tube-limiting of the LA-2A compressor on vocals, or the pump of a genuine 1176 or Fairchild 670 tube compressor on drums, your recordings will take a giant leap forward with a rich, three-dimensional analog sound that UAD plug‑ins provide.
A full suite of classic analog processing onboard
Of course, a hallmark feature of Apollo is its Realtime UAD Processing, which in lieu of owning a 6-figure recording studio, lets you run the full library of UAD plug-ins with near-zero latency for an astoundingly competitive sound. Apollo x16 includes the Realtime Analog Classics Plus plug-in bundle, so you can record and mix with the world’s only authentic Teletronix LA-2A, 1176LN, and Fairchild compressors, Pultec EQs, and many more.
Surround monitoring, artist talkback, and more
The Apollo x16 features built-in front-panel monitoring functions including a Talkback mic, Alt Speakers, and assignable Dim or Mono control. Plus, with its comprehensive 7.1 surround monitoring support, Apollo x16 is a boon for engineers and producers working on audio and music for video games, television, and the web. In addition, Apollo x16 offers selectable +24 dBu operation for out-of-the-box compatibility with professional mixing consoles and other high-end pro audio equipment.
Scalable capabilities via Thunderbolt connectivity
Apollo x16 offers 18 x 20 simultaneous inputs/outputs (16 x 16 analog I/O) and two built-in Thunderbolt 3 ports. Backward compatible with Thunderbolt 1 & 2, if you have previous generation Thunderbolt-equipped Apollo Twin or Apollo rackmount audio interfaces you can add an Apollo X, which is automatically found and accounted for in Apollo’s control software. Plus, you can save configurations. You can easily combine up to four Apollos and six total UAD-2 devices—adding fast, high-bandwidth I/O and DSP as your studio grows.
Your UAD library card
Going beyond the included Realtime Analog Classics Plus plug-ins, Apollo x16 lets you tap into the full UAD Powered Plug-In library of legendary vintage EQs, compressors, reverbs, tape machines, channel strips, and more — at near-zero latency, regardless of your audio software’s buffer size and without taxing your computer’s CPU.
With exclusive emulations from SSL, Neve, Studer, Manley, Helios, API, Ampex, Lexicon, Fender, and more, it’s like having a studio full of iconic analog gear, in a single rack space. And unlike competing interfaces, these award-winning DSP-powered plug-ins are also available in your DAW for mixing.
Who’s using the Universal Audio Apollo
Apollo is the confirmed choice of hit-making professionals, used to record landmark albums by Kendrick Lamar (DAMN.), Chris Stapleton (From A Room: Volume 1), Arcade Fire (Everything Now), Post Malone (Beerbongs & Bentleys), and many more. The Apollo range of interfaces has earned numerous industry awards from Sound on Sound, Future Music, and Electronic Musician—as well as the prestigious 2016 TEC Award for computer audio hardware.
What the pros are saying about the Apollo X
WOW! I thought the second-generation Apollos were great, but these new Apollo X models sound so good, they will redefine the way records are made.” — Jacquire King (James Bay, Kings of Leon, Tom Waits)
“This is the best-sounding Universal Audio D/A ever. By far. It has an extra octave of clear bottom, but it's not hyped. It's just very solid and full. It's like there’s no converter generated signature at all. It’s completely open and natural.” — Fab Dupont (David Crosby, Shakira, Santigold)
“I love my new Apollo x8p! I can mix without worrying about the amount of plug-ins I use, and the new converters reveal the most subtle details when I record. One of the best upgrades that I’ve added in a long time.” —Derek ‘MixedByAli’ Ali (Kendrick Lamar, SZA, Childish Gambino)
“Apollo’s next-gen A/D and D/A conversion sounds incredibly detailed, with great clarity, tighter, punchier low end. And with the Console 2.0 app, I have all of the routing and monitoring options I need.” — Dave Pensado (Beyoncé, Justin Timberlake, Maroon 5)
“The Apollo has some of the better preamps I've ever heard—lots of headroom, quiet at high-gains, and the converters are really sweet sounding.” — Mick Guzauski (Daft Punk, Mariah Carey, Eric Clapton)
Universal Audio’s Apollo x-series interfaces fulfill the dream of having a studio in a box. If you’re ready to make commercially competitive records in the comfort of our own home, the Apollo x16 is for you. Order yours today. For more information, call or chat online with your PAD Studio Specialist today.
- UA 610-B Preamp
- Marshall Plexi Classic Amplifier
- Fairchild 670
- Legacy Teletronix LA-2A
- Legacy UA 1176LN
- Legacy UA 1176SE
- Legacy Pultec EQP-1A
- Legacy Pultec Pro
- Legacy Ampeg® SVT-VR Classic Bass Amp
- Precision Channel Strip
- Precision Reflection Engine
- Precision Delay Modulation
- Precision Delay Modulation L
- UA Precision Enhancer Hz
- Raw Distortion
- Line Inputs (DB25): 16 Balanced via (2) 25-pin D-sub
- Digital Inputs (XLR): AES/EBU: two channels @ 44.1 – 192kHz
A to D Conversion / Line Inputs
- Dynamic Range: 124 dB (A-weighted)
- THD+N: -115 dB (0.00018%)
- Frequency Response: 20Hz – 20kHz, ±0.05dB
- Line Outputs (DB-25): 16 Balanced via (2) 25-pin D-sub
- Monitor Outputs (XLR):2 Balanced (Left/Right)
- Digital Outputs (XLR): AES/EBU: 2 channels @ 44.1 – 192kHz
D to A Conversion / Line Outputs
- Dynamic Range: 127dB (A-weighted)
- THD+N: -123dB (0.00007%)
- Frequency Response: 20Hz – 20kHz, ±0.02dB
- Dynamic Range: 133dB
- THD+N: -129dB (0.00004%)
- Frequency Response: 20Hz – 20 kHz, ±0.02dB
- Thunderbolt 3 cable (not included)
- Internet connection to download software and authorize UAD plug-ins
- 6 gigabytes available storage
- Quad Core i7 or better processor recommended
- Available Thunderbolt 1, 2, or 3 port
- Thunderbolt 1 and 2 connections require an Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter (not included)
- macOS 10.12 Sierra, 10.13 High Sierra, or 10.14 Mojave
- Available Thunderbolt 3 port
- Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (64-Bit Edition)