Every 3d-based unit includes an MH EdgeBus Card slot to provide additional flexibility in configuration. The EdgeBus is a programmable high-speed plugin slot that accepts a variety of audio interfacing cards. Its programmable design and full access to all the audio clocks and power rails allows for the creation of a wide variety of digital, analog, processing and interfacing plugin modules.
The currently available modules include (with I/O channel counts listed):
- AES/SPDIF EdgeCard (4 in/4 out)
- DB-25 AES EdgeCard (8 in/8 out)
- SPDIF + MIDI EdgeCard (2 in/2 out + MIDI I/O)
- SPDIF + 2x ADAT EdgeCard (18 in/18 out)
- 2x SPDIF + 2x ADAT EdgeCard (20 in/20 out)
- 4x ADAT EdgeCard (32 in/32 out)
- 2x MADI Optical EdgeCard (128 in/128 out)
- 1x MADI Optical + 1x MADI Copper EdgeCard (128 in/128 out)
- 4x MADI Copper EdgeCard (256 in/256 out)
The EdgeCard modules are field installable/swappable and the hardware automatically detects the type of the installed card. All EdgeCard audio channels are first class I/O and may be used just like the built-in channels; all I/O is available simultaneously.
You can use EdgeCards to interface with other systems, get additional I/O via third-party A/D/A converters, provide ingest paths for digital recorders, or to patch into your existing digital console (e.g. via MADI interfacing).
The high-channel counts achievable via MADI interfacing means that you can us your ULN-8 mkIVs as remote-controlled headamps, side car processing, or as a multitrack recorder for your console.