The first model to be launched in our The Main Ones Series, the 8381A is a full-range Adaptive Point Source Continued Directivity (PCD) five-way Smart Active (SAM) Monitoring system intended for free-standing placement and designed for precise stereo imaging and neutral sound reproduction. This is ideal for high sound pressure level applications in medium to large control rooms in professional recording, mixing and mastering studios, and for the most demanding high-fidelity listening applications.
Point Source Continued Directivity (PCD™):
Premiered on the 8381A, important frequencies are experienced radiating from the same location and in perfect time alignment – creating precise sound imaging, natural soundstage presentation, and enabling the lowest frequencies to be reproduced at their intended source locations.
New High SPL Ultra-Linear Coaxial Driver:
The novel Ultra-Linear Coaxial Driver, fitted in a precision-engineered Directivity Control Waveguide (DCW™), is supported by the Quad Midrange System (QMS™) to enable point source characteristics, controlled directivity and precise soundstage imaging at the sound levels needed for main monitor applications. Designed and fully manufactured by Genelec in Iisalmi, Finland.
Adaptive Woofer System supports positional freedom to achieve ideal placement of the 8381A in the monitoring room, for precise, powerful monitoring in any environment – in any loudspeaker layout, from stereo to immersive.
Quad Midrange System:
The Quad Midrange System has the same acoustic axis with the Coaxial Driver, continues the controlled directivity of the Coaxial Driver in the DCW and offers high SPL. It reproduces low-midrange audio from the same location as the Coaxial Driver to extend the point source further down in frequency. Designed and fully manufactured by Genelec in Iisalmi, Finland.
Easy System Calibration and Integration (SAM™):
Intelligent room adaption, advanced system management, and premium acoustic reporting from Genelec Loudspeaker Manager (GLM™) software. GLM enables Smart Active Monitors and Subwoofers to smoothly cooperate and create monitoring systems of any size.
- Empowers engineers and listeners to perceive every sonic detail.
- True-to-life sound level and dynamics with the full flexibility of free-standing monitor placement and advanced room adaption - and simple, effortless installation.
- Controlled directivity and uncoloured response both on and off the acoustic axis, with an ultrawide frequency response spanning from 20 Hz to 35 kHz.
- The high SPL Minimum Diffraction Coaxial (MDC™) midrange/tweeter driver combined with a powerful Genelec DSP engine delivers extraordinary clarity, imaging and adaptability.
- As a SAM system, the 8381A integrates tightly with our GLM software, delivering high resolution and incredibly precise low frequency control, despite room acoustic influences – in all formats from stereo to high channel count immersive.
- Unlimited access to the GRADE™ Room Acoustic Report feature of GLM, giving complete analysis of room and monitoring system performance, which helps to fine-tune acoustic treatment, system and listener positioning, and Bass Management.
8381A is a free-standing full-range adaptive five-way SAM™ monitoring system for medium to large control rooms in professional recording, mixing and mastering studios, and the most demanding high-fidelity listening applications.
- The 8381A is shipped in a plywood-covered pallet containing the top and bottom enclosures (both needed for one complete unit), two individually calibrated RAM-81 amplifier units and an accessory kit, including incliner wedges to optimise the vertical acoustic axis.
- Quick Setup Guide with link to product website and documents, including the Operating Manual.
- GLM Kit and GLM software access.
- Adaptive five-way with SAM™
- 5926 W total amplifier power
- 129 dB SPL per pair maximum output
- Frequency range 20 Hz to 35 kHz
- On-axis response accuracy better than ± 1.5 dB
- Minimum listening distance < 1 metre
- Point Source Continued Directivity operating principle for excellent in-room sound quality and precise imaging
- The 8381A includes two RAM81 amplifiers – each uniquely calibrated at the Genelec factory in Iisalmi, Finland, to match its assigned cabinet.