The API 3124V 4-Channel Mic Preamp
The API 3124V is a four-channel mic preamp with four front-panel instrument DIs and output level control on each channel.
The first iteration of the API 3124 became one of the most popular API preamps designed by former API owner, Paul Wolf. A 4-channel preamp with punch and clarity, the 3124 was an instant hit on snare and toms. However, it’s hot output could easily overpower A to D converters, which meant that some kind of output attenuation was required, since using pads changed the sound. Rather than have its users depend on 3rd-party level attenuation, API released the 3124V, the same 4-channel preamp circuits with the addition of a true API-designed variable output level control. The output level enables you to use the 3124V on high-SPL sources, crank the input for more transformer saturation, and control the output to your converters. Best of all, you have API sound from mic to converters.
API 3124V key features and tech:
- Classic API Circuit Design
- Uses API 2520 Op Amps
- Variable Output Level Control
- 3:1 Output Transformer Tap Selection
- Four female XLR mic inputs, four rear-panel XLRM outputs
- Four front-panel 1/4" Hi Z instrument inputs
- Front-panel polarity switches
- Front-panel -20dB pad switches
- Front-panel mic/instrument switches
- Front-panel 48V power switches
API 3124V under the hood
Like the API 3124+, the 3124V is equipped with RE-115K mic input transformer built by Ed Reichenbach, whose expertise in transformer design and manufacture began at Altec Lansing and later Reichenbach Engineering, which became the defacto standard for the pro audio industry. The 3124V uses API’s proprietary output transformer found in all API mic pres, with switchable 3:1 output selection. Additionally, the 3124V offers a variable output level control. The unit has an internal 48-volt phantom power supply, which is switchable for each channel, as well as -20dB pad switches that affect both the mic and Hi-Z instrument inputs, both located on the front panel.
Along with 65dB of gain on the mic input, the Hi-Z front panel inputs feed directly to the op-amps, which allow a low-level instrument input, such as a guitar or bass, to be amplified without a matching transformer or direct box. The Hi-Z inputs can take levels as high as +20dBu, making them perfect for keyboards and other high-level devices. For easy integration into your studio, the API 3124V has XLR I/O.
If the only thing standing in your way to owning four channels of API preamps is a “too hot” output signal, the 3124V removes all obstacles and excuses—order yours today. For more information, call or chat online with your PAD professional.
API 3124V specifications:
- Input Impedance: 1500 ohms mic, 470k ohms unbalanced, Hi-Z in
- Output Impedance: Less than 75 Ohms Channel Outputs
- Nominal Levels: XLR Channel Output +4dBu
- Stereo Output Level: Unbalanced: nominal -2, Balanced: +4dBu
- Frequency Response: +0, -5, 10Hz to 20kHz (-.5 at 10Hz)
- Noise EIN: -129 mic, -125 unbal. actual
- Measured Noise: Better than -91dBm / below nominal +4dBu
- Distortion: All outputs at +4 out, .03%, at +22, .09% Max
- Gain Range: 150 ohm Input 10dB min., 65dB max (inc. PAD); Unbalanced. Input 14dB min., 50dB max
- VU Meter: Calibrated for XLR outputs, 0VU=+4dBu, (-12, -6,
- -3, 0, +3, +6, +18)
- Controls: Gain, Pad (20dB), Phantom Power, Polarity, Mic (mic/unbal.), VU, AC
- Power Consumption, Quiescent: 19.2 watts
- Size (WxHxD): 19" x 1-3/4" x 11"
- Size (Boxed for Shipping): 23-1/4" x 6-1/2" x 16-1/2"
- Actual Weight: 10.38 lb.
- Shipping Weight: 14.06 lb.