The AMS Neve 1073LB is the only preamp that brings the authentic sound of recording’s most highly prized preamp, the Neve 1073, to 500-series racks everywhere.
Ask any producer or recording engineer what their desert island preamp is, and invariably, the Neve 1073 will come up just about every time. The most copied preamp on the planet, it would be more appropriate to ask what influential recordings the 1073 hasn’t been used on since its introduction in 1970 through today. Perhaps the greatest achievement of the Neve 1073 is that it gave solid-state circuits the rich euphonic sound of tubes, and the punch that put the rock into roll. It was also the first wide-bandwidth preamp designed to be linear and low-noise past the range of human hearing.* Along with the character of the preamp, thanks to its Neve-designed Marinair™ custom input and output transformers, the award-winning 1073LB boasts a staggering 80dB of ribbon mic-friendly gain, variable input impedance, input trim, and of course the signature Neve sound.
AMS Neve 1073LB 500 Series—Just the Facts
- Classic transformer microphone preamp amp (Class A design)
- Exclusive Neve Marinair transformers used on input and output stages
- Both Mic and Line inputs are transformer balanced and earth free
- Gain knob with Signal Presence LED
- +5/-20dB level Trim control with integrated phantom power on/off switch
- Phase, Impedance and Front Input selector switches
- Front combi-XLR connector with intelligent switching of phantom power
- Audio Processing Insert design allows processing from adjacent Neve 1073LBEQ and/or 2264ALB modules in same 500-series rack to be inserted into the 1073LB’s pre-output stage
- Microphone Input: Gain -80db to -20dB in 5dB steps
- Line Input: Input impedance 4k ohms bridging, gain -20dB to +10dB in 5dB steps
- Output is transformer balanced and earth free
- Distortion: Not more than 0.07% from 50Hz to 10kHz at +20dBu output
- (80kHz bandwidth)
- Frequency Response: ±0.5dB 20Hz to 20kHz, -3dB at 40kHz
- Crafted in England by Neve engineers
* PAD Tech Note: According to Mr. Rupert Neve, if harmonics beyond human hearing exist in nature they shouldn’t be ignored in audio capture, as they traditionally were in designs band-limited to 20kHz. His favorite demonstration of his hypothesis is using a tone generator to produce a sine wave at 12kHz, which anyone can hear, and switches it to a square wave, which produces a timbral difference audible to all. The only difference between the two waves is that a square wave adds a single octave harmonic at 24kHz, which is beyond our ability to hear on its own.
AMS Neve 1073LB—Under the Hood
Based on the limitations of the 500-series form, Neve engineers painstaking selected certain components for the 1073LB that matched the behavior of the originals, along with using the same architecture and original hand-wound transformers (which, incidentally, are more responsible for the warm sound attributed to tubes than tubes themselves actually are) to retain the unique sonics of the original 1073. (All I/O on the 1073LB is transformer-balanced and earth-free.)
The AMS Neve 1073LB also incorporates new features for the modern age, including a -10dB to + 5dB fine Trim control, which in conjunction with the main gain control gives you 85dB of gain for mics with extremely low sensitivity; a signal-presence LED, intelligent protected switching for the front-panel combi XLR/1/4" input connector; and Neve’s Audio Processing Input design, which enables you to connect adjacent AMS Neve Lunchbox EQ and dynamics processors as in insert ahead of the 1073LB’s output. Designed and manufactured in England, the 1073LB is VPR-compliant, and as such, compatible with API Lunchbox 500-series power racks.
1073LB front-panel controls
The front-panel controls of the AMS Neve 1073LB include a stepped (5dB) Input Gain knob, which runs from -20dB to +10dB for line input, -20dB to -80dB (negative gain means the output is inverted from the input) for the mic input (with an Off position between the 50 and 55dB steps). Below the gain control are three buttons for Lo-Z input impedance selection (1200 ohm/300ohm), a phase button, and an input selector (FR I/P) for Mic or Line selection. To the right of the buttons is the -10dB/+5dB continuous fine trim control, which also acts as an on switch for phantom power when pressed in. There is also an accompanying +48V red LED indicator when phantom power is on. Additionally, when Line is selected via the FR I/P control, phantom power is automatically turned off if active, in order to protect unbalanced, line-level input devices. And finally, at the bottom of the front panel is an XLR/1/4" combi-jack input connector.
1073LB rear panel
The rear panel has an INS LINK connector, which is used when a 1073LB Mic Pre module uses an adjacent AMS Neve module as a true audio insert across it, such as the 1073LB EQ. The cable that links the two modules together is supplied with the module you wish to use as the insert. There is also a Dip Switch Block (Issue 2 units only), that is used depending on whether the 1073LB is inserted into a non-API lunchbox.
Eminently suited for any musical genre, from rock to pop, hip-hop to rap, thrash to classical, the larger-than-life, signature sound of the AMS Neve 1073LB is 500-series rack ready. For more information, call or chat online with your PAD Studio Specialist today.
- Mic Input: Switchable impedance (300 ohm or 1200 ohm) Gain -80dB to -20dB in 5dB steps
- Line Input : Impedance 4k ohm bridging, Gain -20dB to +10dB in 5dB steps
- Max Output +28dBu
- Output Impedance 75 ohm @ 1kHz
- Distortion: 0.07% from 50Hz to 10kHz @ +20dBu output (80kHz bandwidth)
- Frequency Response: +/-0.5dB 20Hz to 20kHz, -3dB @ 40 kHz
- EIN: Better than -125dBu @ 60dB gain
- Noise: -82dBu at all Line gain settings (22Hz to 22kHz bandwidth)