AMS Neve 1073DPX
AMS Neve 1073DPX
The TEC award-winning AMS Neve 1073DPX features dual 1073 preamp/EQs in a 2U standalone rack with additional features including output level control, pre-EQ, post-EQ, post output stage metering, insert loop, instrument DI, stereo headphone jack, and slot for digital I/O option card with sample rates up to DXD 384
The AMS Neve 1073DPX answers the age-old question, “What's better than a Neve 1073 preamp and EQ?” The answer is: two Neve 1073 preamp and EQs. The 1073DPX also solves another dilemma you'll have if you buy a single 1073, which is that fact that you're going to want two of them. Like potato chips, one is never enough. After all, you're going to want to record drum overheads with classic Neve sound, but how are you going to feel when you look down at your rack and realize that something's missing-and you can only record half a drum kit. Then again, you may want to put two mics on that guitar cabinet; mic on the top and bottom of a Leslie speaker; close and distance mic on an acoustic guitar; or simply record everything in stereo to take advantage of the spatial realism that comes with Neve 1073 preamps. The 1073DPX holds two separate 1073s in a standalone 2U rackmount unit. The 1073DPX retains the same basic circuitry and sonic essence as the original 1073, but includes many additional features to accommodate the modern studio environment. And with the Digital I/O (AES/FireWire) option card, the AMS Neve 1073DPX makes a DAW front end that can't be beaten.
AMS Neve 1073DPX-Just the Facts:
- 2 independent, genuine Neve 1073 transformer-coupled microphone preamplifier/EQ circuits, in a single 2U 19" rackmount enclosure
- Exclusive Neve custom Marinair™ input and output transformers
- Convenient front-panel connections for Mic, Line, and DI inputs, with switchable mic/line input connections on the rear panel
- Switchable +48v phantom power, Hi/Lo impedance, -20dB pad, and DI ground-lift on the input stage
- Switchable phase, and EQ in/out
- Insert send and return loop feature allows external equipment to be connected easily to the 1073DPX audio chain, such as mono/stereo limiter/compressors
- Pre-EQ insert send/return - a line level send is available from the mic- preamp output stage and a return just before the EQ stage
- Post-EQ insert send/return - a line level send is available from the post-EQ stage and a return just before the main output stage
- Independent channel output level controls
- 7-stage LED signal level meters for each channel can show mic/line/DI input-stage level, EQ-stage level, or output-stage level up to +24dB
- Headphone output with adjustable volume control can listen to channel 1, channel 2, or both channels combined
- External multi-voltage PSU
- Optional Digital I/O module supports AES and FireWire at sample rates from 24-bit/44.1kHZ to DXD 384
- Winner of TEC, Sound On Sound, and Resolution Magazine awards for best preamp and technical innovation
AMS Neve 1073DPX-Under the Hood
The multi award-winning 1073DPX has two channels of Neve 1073 Class A design microphone preamplifiers, each with 3-band EQ (fixed HF plus two switchable bands with cut/boost capability) and high-pass filter, adding warmth and depth to recordings, bringing out subtle ambience, maintaining spatial positioning, and capturing a more precise image-the essence of the genuine Neve sound.
With classic Neve 1073 module features as a jumping-off point, the 1073DPX introduces extra functionality with integrated DI input, phantom power, selectable Insert feature, level meters, selectable headphone monitoring, and front input connectors on each channel for easy and direct connection of microphones and instruments. The 19” rack-mount 2U unit includes an external multi-voltage PSU.
An optional Digital I/O module can be fitted into the 1073DPX and provides AES and FireWire digital connectivity at a range of sample rates. Mastering-grade converters are used and the simple configuration and convenience of digital connectivity make the 1073DPX the ultimate front-end for capturing the best possible recordings. When combined with the rich euphonic sound of the 1073 mic preamp and EQ, the 1073DPX gives you the ultimate front-end for your DAW.
AMS Neve 1073DPX front-panel controls
- Switches the unit on or off. The adjacent LED lights when the unit is on
- Switches the audio input to the front mic/line combo connector
Note: The DI input always overrides the Mic input, whether the FRONT switch is pressed or not
Switches the line input and output to the rear digital module. In digital mode, the front/rear mic input, DI input, and analog line output continue to operate normally
Note: The digital module is an optional extra and is not included as standard.
XLR/Jack Combo Input
- Use the XLR input for microphone sources and the 6.35mm jack input for line-level sources
- Applies 48V phantom power to the XLR microphone input (front and rear). The adjacent LED lights when phantom power is active
- The default input impedance on the microphone input is 1,200 ohm. Pressing the Lo-Z switch reconfigures the input for 300-ohm input impedance
- Provides ground lift for the DI input. If hum/buzz occurs when using a DI input, pressing this switch may alleviate the problem by breaking any ground loop
- Provides 20dB of attenuation to the DI input. In the default position (no attenuation) the input impedance of the DI input is approximately 1M ohm. When set to -20dB attenuation (switch depressed) the input impedance of the DI input is approximately 10k ohm
- High-impedance balanced input for direct injection
Note: When a 6.3mm jack is inserted into the DI input, all other microphone inputs are automatically disconnected. Use the Mic side of the gain control when using the DI input.
- Smooth +/-16dB fixed frequency shelving at 12kHz
- Smooth +/-18dB peaking, fixed 'Q' with selectable center frequencies of 0.36kHz, 0.7kHz, 1.6kHz, 3.2kHz, 4.8Kh, 7.2kHz
- Smooth +/-16dB shelving with selectable frequencies of 35Hz, 60Hz, 10Hz, 220Hz
- 18dB per octave slope, switchable between 50Hz, 80Hz, 160Hz, 300Hz
- Reverses the phase of the output signal. In the default position, absolute phase is preserved through the unit
- Switches the equalization circuit into the signal path
- Switches the insert loop into the signal path
- Positions the insert loop before the equalization circuit (pre-EQ). In the default position (switch not depressed) the insert loop is positioned immediately after the equalization circuit (post-EQ)
- Adjusts the output audio level. This control is post-EQ be pre-output stage. The thick line on the graticule indicates the point of nominal unity gain; the unit has ~5dB in hand. Pressing this knob cycles the level meter takeoff point through three possible points in the signal path, indicated by the adjacent LEDs
Take-off LEDs and Clip Indication
- One of three LEDs lights green to indicate the selected takeoff point for the level meter, chosen by pressing the LEVEL knob. The three possible takeoff points are pre-EQ, post-EQ, post output stage. In addition, LEDs will light red if their respective takeoff point is close to clipping. Clip indication is always active whichever takeoff point happens to be selected
- Peak-responding level meter. The audio level can be monitored at one of three locations chosen by pressing the LEVEL knob
- Controls the volume of the headphone output
- Pressing the knob cycles the headphone monitoring location through three options, indicated by the adjacent
- LEDs: Channel 1 only; Channel 1 (left ear) + Channel 2 (right ear); Channel 2 only
- Stereo headphone output jack
AMS Neve 1073DPX rear panel
- +48V DC: Connects the accompanying power supply (PS10501) to power the unit
- Fuse: Always use the correct fuse rating as indicated beside the fuse holder: T1A, 250v 20mm, Ø 5mm
- Mic input: Balanced XLR-F
- Line input: Balanced XLR-F
- Line output: Balanced XLR-M
- Insert send: Balanced 1/4" line-level output for insert loop
- Insert return: Balanced 1/4" line-level input for insert loop
Digital option panel: Optional Digital I/O module fitted here
The AMS 1073DPX is the classic 1073 expanded for the modern age. Whether you're looking for a golden stereo channel or the ultimate DAW front end, you'll find all that and more in the 1073DPX. For more information, call or chat online with your PAD Studio Specialist today.
- Microphone Input: Input Impedance 300 ohm or 1,200 ohm, gain +80dB to +20dB in 5dB steps
- Line input: Input Impedance 10k ohm bridging, gain +20dB to -10dB in 5dB steps; both inputs are transformer-balanced and earth-free
- DI input: Input impedance 1M ohm (PAD off) 10k ohm (pad on); Gain +80dB to +20dB in 5dB steps
- Output: Maximum output is >+26dBu into 600 ohm
- Output impedance: 75 ohm @1kHz; outputs are transformer-balanced and earth-free
- Distortion: Not more than 0.07% from 50Hz to 10kHz at +20dBu output (80kHz bandwidth) into 600 ohm
- Frequency response: +/-0.5dB 20Hz to 20kHz, -3dB at 40kHz (EQ out)
- Noise: Not more than -82dBu at all line gain settings; EQ in flat/out (22Hz to 22kHz bandwidth, 150 ohm input termination)
- EIN: Better than -125dBu @ 60dB gain
- Power: 48VDC, 480mA ±20mA excluding digital module; negative earth
- Height: 3-1/5" (88 mm)
- Width: 19" (480 mm)
- Depth: 14" (356 mm)
- Weight: 10 (22 lb.)
Check out our featured projects
Have a question?
Our Customer support is available Monday to Friday, 8 - 10 est. Contact us with your questions or to get a quote request.
Get up to a 2-year extended warranty on any new gear and up to a 1-year extended warranty on used gear.
PAD-Certified preowned gear
All of our used equipment goes through a rigorous testing and servicing process before we make it available for sale.
Best Price Match
We guarantee the lowest price, period. If you need a price match, call us at 1-877-223-8858 for details.
The PADTech team knows the gear inside and out. If you need help with installation, configuration or repairs, call us. We can help