The AMS Neve 1073SPX is a single-channel, transformer-coupled preamp built to the exact specifications of the original 1073 replicating its sonics precisely, with optional digital I/O module giving your DAW a complete Neve front end.
Since its introduction in the early '70s, the Neve 1073 10-series console module preamp established itself as audio royalty. The thinking behind the 10-series was to provide the same preamp topology with various equalizer sections to provide versatility for the 80-series consoles. Of all the options, the EQ section of 1073 module emerged as the favorite, mostly due to the 12kHz high-frequency shelf. What set the 1073 apart from the pack was its wide bandwidth frequency response and the rich-sounding secret sauce provided by Neve-designed custom Marinair transformers (“Marinair” sauce . . . heh, good one). Fast-forward to today, the 1073SPX maintains the classic 1073 sound with added functionality, including an integrated DI input, phantom power, selectable insert, level meters, output level control, and front-panel input connectors for easy access. With a 1U rackmount chassis, the 1073SPX includes an external universal PSU and removable panel for an optional digital I/O module giving you a complete Neve-quality DAW front end.
AMS Neve 1073SPX-Just the Facts:
- Genuine Neve 1073 transformer-coupled microphone preamplifier and equalizer in a single 1U 19″ rack mount enclosure
- Exclusive Neve Marinair input and output transformers
- Convenient front-panel connectors for Mic, Line, and DI inputs with switchable mic/line input connectors on the rear panel
- Switchable +48V phantom power, selectable high and low impedance, 20dB pad, and ground lift for the DI
- Switchable phase, EQ in/out
- Insert send and return loop allows external equipment to be connected easily to the 1073SPX audio chain, such as mono limiter/compressors
- Pre-EQ insert send/return - a line level send is available from the mic-preamp output stage and a return just before the EQ stage
- Post-EQ insert send/return - a line level send is available from the post-EQ stage and a return just before the main output stage
- 7-stage LED signal level meter displays mic/line/DI input level, EQ level, or output level up to +24dB
- Output level control
- External multi-voltage, universal power supply
- Optional 24-bit/192kHz digital I/O module with mastering-grade A/D, AES3 and FireWire I/O
Neve 1073SPX-Under the Hood
Like its forebear, the 1073SPX has an authentic transformer-coupled Neve 1073 Class-A microphone preamplifier, with 3-band EQ (fixed HF plus two switchable bands with cut/boost capability). This simple yet highly musical equalizer simply makes everything sound the way it should. For example, if you want the perfect snare sound, with body and high-end sizzle, a boost at the low band's 220Hz, mid-band 7.2kHz, and high shelf 12k and you're there. It also features a high-pass filter, to keep low-end rumble out of your mix. The 1073SPX transformer-based sonic richness will add warmth and depth to recordings, brings out subtle ambience, maintains spatial positioning, and captures a more precise image. In essence, the genuine Neve sound revered by engineers and producers the world over.
Digital option module
Just as AMS Neve knows its way around analog preamp design, as makers of the 88D console, reputed to be the best sounding digital console made, you can be assured that the quality of conversion is nothing less than what you'd expect from Neve. The optional Digital I/O module can be fitted (or retrofitted) into the 1073SPX and provides AES and FireWire digital connectivity at sample rates up to 192kHz. The digital option module uses mastering-grade converters. The added convenience of digital connectivity provide Neve quality throughout the entire signal chain into your DAW-it doesn't get better than that, baby.
The AMS Neve 1073SPX gives you authentic Neve sound with a little something extra, along with optional Neve mastering-quality conversion, giving you an unbeatable front end for your DAW. For more information, call or chat online with your PAD Studio Specialist today.
- Mic Input Impedance: 300 ohm or 1200 ohm, gain +80dB to +20dB in 5dB steps.
- Line Input Impedance: 10k-ohm bridging, gain +20dB to -10dB in 5dB steps. Both inputs are transformer-balanced and earth free.
- DI Input Impedance: 1M ohm (PAD off) 10k ohm (PAD on). Gain +80dB to +20dB in 5dB steps.
- Output: Maximum output is >+26dBu into 600 ohm. Output impedance is 75 @1kHz. Outputs are transformer balanced
- Distortion: Not more than 0.07% from 50Hz to 10kHz at +20dBu output (80kHz bandwidth) into 600 ohm
- Frequency Response: +/-0.5dB 20Hz to 20kHz, -3dB at 40kHz EQ out
- Noise: Not more than -82dBu at all Line gain settings, EQ In Flat/Out (22Hz to 22kHz bandwidth, 150 ohm input termination), EIN better than -125dBu @ 60dB gain.