he ADAM Audio S5V is a vertically oriented 700W LF x 300W MF x 100W HF 3-way monitor for medium-to-large control rooms where the convenience of a free-standing main monitor is desired; featuring room compensation DSP, 12" bass driver, 4" midrange driver, and ADAM’s S-Art folded ribbon tweeter.
With a cumulative 1,100 watts of power, the ADAM Audio S5V isn’t designed to simply fill a spacious control room with sound, rather, full-bandwidth, high-resolution audio with microscopic detail and sparkling clarity—not to mention sheer party power. And, since so much of today’s audio work is done in film production, the S5V has an extremely wide sweet spot, which makes it a wise choice for multi-operator setups, or for mix engineers who need to move around in the stereo field to adjust outboard or console faders and EQ. A Class-D 700W amplifier drives the S5V’s 12" bass driver, with additional Class-D amplifiers providing 300W to the S5V’s unique 4" hybrid midrange cone, and 100W to S-ART treble driver. Combining the legendary precision of ADAM Audio’s proprietary drivers with the power of the company’s amplification, the S5V is a reference monitor for truly discerning audio professionals at work in the most expansive listening environments.
ADAM Audio S5V—Behind the Grille
The S5V incorporates a full suite of ADAM’s proprietary technologies, including the Extended Linear Excursion (ELE) bass driver and Symmetrical Magnet Assembly (SMA) technology, hybrid dome/cone (DCH) midrange driver, and the S-ART folded-ribbon tweeter. Additionally, the S5V features custom-designed DSP that optimizes crossovers to create a linear response for the entire range, as well as providing user equalization and in-room tuning/voicing functions. The DSP also handles the limiter-based high-frequency driver protection, processes the signals from the AES3 digital inputs, and will in time facilitate various expansion options. Software updates can be carried out with ease via the associated USB port, which also allows users to connect computers and control the speakers’ DSP functions via a software front-end.
All monitors in ADAM’s S-series feature the latest iteration of ADAM’s world-famous X-ART tweeter design, handmade in Berlin. The manufacturing process for each tweeter has been raised to an even higher standard of precision, with a more stringent post-factory testing regime—hence the new designation, “S-ART.” The driver’s precise transient response and its ability to reproduce the subtlest high-end detail, distortion-free, and with natural-sounding dynamics, is the foundation of ADAM Audio’s worldwide reputation as a leading manufacturer of audio equipment.
The HPS (High-frequency Propagation System) waveguide is designed for the S-ART tweeter with the aid of the latest computer modeling techniques. It refines the dispersion of the speakers to an even, uniform consistency, with a broad horizontal axis and tightly focused in the vertical plane. This minimizes potentially distracting reflections from the horizontal surfaces of studio furniture, such as mixing consoles, ensuring that imaging remains constant, creating a large, stable sweet spot, even at high output levels.
Extended Linear Excursion (ELE) low-frequency driver
Bass frequencies from 32 Hz to 250 Hz are handled by ADAM Audio’s low-frequency HexaCone driver, which incorporates the company’s equally groundbreaking Symmetrical Magnet Assembly (SMA), delivering a powerful and extremely accurate low end extending down into the sub-bass region.
The S Series ELE bass driver (short for Extended Linear Excursion) is a custom design created especially for and in parallel with the S Series cabinet and bass-reflex system. It guarantees accurate audio reproduction at an extremely high-resolution thanks to the precise relationship between its low weight, optimized inner damping, highly rigid honeycomb cone, and a basket that eliminates unwanted resonance and distortion. The result is a bass driver that offers clarity and transparency uncommon in low-frequency audio reproduction, plus great precision even at high sound pressure levels.
Another notable feature of the ELE driver is its mechanical suspension, which operates optimally over long excursions, allowing high-SPL bass frequencies to be reproduced without distortion. Low-frequency energy is not limited as it is on similar systems. Softer, less highly tensioned driver suspensions may allow uncontrolled displacement at high SPL. The highly tensioned linear S-series suspension system dampens the movements of the supporting membrane in a controlled manner, even at high output levels, fully preserving the dynamics of the original audio. The suspension is extremely robust and ensures distortion-free reproduction across the entire audible spectrum.
The newly created long-throw speaker surround was also carefully engineered to be considerably more resilient than competing modern designs. This greatly increases the maximum possible excursion of the driver membrane, improving dynamic range and reducing distortion.
Finally, the loudspeaker basket is anodized by means of a specially optimized process during manufacture: the material’s black finish absorbs heat and provides another means by which the driver is kept cool, which in turn preserves its integrity and lifespan.
SMA™ (Symmetrical Magnet Assembly)
The newly developed magnet assembly in the bass driver, which ADAM Audio has named the SMA (Symmetrical Magnet Assembly), extends the maximum possible excursion of the electromagnetic voice coil by a factor of three compared to previous designs. The greatly extended travel ensures that the membrane operates in a linear fashion over a relatively large distance, displaces a greater volume of air, and is capable of higher maximum output. The design allows the driver to accurately reproduce low-frequency signals without distortion, even during extremely large excursions.
As voice coils warm, their resistance changes, damping and dynamic range are reduced, operational parameters change, and low frequencies are no longer reproduced cleanly. These unwanted effects are eliminated by an ingenious built-in ventilation system that prevents warming of the large, custom-designed voice coils, thus reducing the effects of power compression below the threshold of audibility.
The carefully engineered construction makes use of materials designed to encourage heat dissipation, and also keeps unwanted air turbulence and compression out of the magnet assembly, minimizing distortion.
The SMA also features several other innovations developed by ADAM Audio especially for the S Series that minimize non-linear third-order distortion.
DCH™ (Dome/Cone Hybrid) midrange driver
The 4" (100 mm) DCH (Dome/Cone Hybrid) midrange driver is another new technology designed specifically for the S Series. It’s a hybrid design: part cone and part dome driver. This extremely rigid one-piece drive element combines the clean decay characteristics and linear frequency response of a dome driver with the high-excursion advantages of a cone driver, audibly improving transparency in the critical mid-range and producing excellent, distortion-free reproduction at high output levels. In conjunction with the high-quality S Series suspension, which controls large-scale excursions perfectly, wobble is completely excluded. In addition, the DCH’s output extends down an octave further than competing mid-range drivers (as far as 200 Hz), ensuring a clean and consistent dispersion without tonal coloration.
The DCH is manufactured with a specially laminated carbon composite material, while its domed form renders it very stable. It behaves as a piston up to 8kHz (one-and-a-half octaves beyond its operational frequency response), does not produce unwanted vibrations, and does not deform even at high output levels. Unwanted ringing and resonances that obscure sonic detail and produce listening fatigue are almost completely eliminated.
The robust construction of the DCH also allows it to be placed nearer to the S-ART treble driver. Much like a point-source monitor, the pair act as a coherent sound source making overall dispersion wider, more consistent, and more accurate. Several features resembling those from the ELE bass driver also appear on the DCH, such as the linear magnet assembly, suspension, damping systems, vented pole piece, heat-dissipating chassis/basket, and the large 2-1/2" (65 mm) voice coil. There are a few differences: for instance, the mid-range driver surround is manufactured from a specially formulated foam material, but just like low-frequency driver, fine, highly dynamic details are reproduced without coloration or filtering.
The low-frequency and midrange drivers on the S Series are powered by distortion-free Class-D ICEpower amplifiers (ICEpower is a subsidiary of Bang & Olufsen). Over 90 percent efficient, these designs are much more robust and offer a longer working life than traditional Class A/B amplification. However, Class A/B can offer more bandwidth and tonal advantages when amplifying high-frequency audio. For this reason, ADAM has developed a special 50W, low-noise Class A/B power amp, which operates in a linear fashion up to 300kHz, to drive the tweeter. A signal that’s -3dB at 25kHz can cause a -50° phase shift in the audible spectrum (appearing at 10kHz), whereas -3dB at 250Hz reduces the in-band phase shift to less than 1°. The linear response of the amplifier up to 300kHz in concert with the S-ART ribbon tweeter is responsible for the stunning spatial accuracy, transient detail, and significantly greater overall program reality of the S5V.
The S-series custom-designed DSP provides perfectly tuned crossovers that guarantee optimal frequency response, as well as a dynamic range greater than that offered by traditional analog crossovers with no loss of resolution.
The DSP also includes a comprehensive array of options for in-room optimization. A rear-panel OLED display and dual-function push-button/rotary encoder allow control over overall level, two parametric shelving filters (one for the bass, the other for the highs) as well as six fully parametric EQs with variable Q that may be assigned to boost or cut level at specific frequencies.
Five memories are also provided to store voicing presets. On most S Series models, the first two are non-editable factory presets. The first is the default tuning, labeled “Pure,” featuring an extremely accurate frequency response. The second is a dynamic, natural-sounding response curve of ADAM’s own design, which is known as UNR™ (the Uniform Natural Response). The remaining three memory locations are available to store users’ own personal voicing presets.
The DSP also offers limiter-based protection, AES3 digital inputs, and connectors for future expansion options. A USB connector allows software upgrades and facilitates connection to computer-based editing software, so that voicing adjustments or preset selection can be carried out without the need to access the rear panel of your monitors – a useful option if they are soffit-mounted.
The S Series bass reflex tubes
The bass reflex ports have been aerodynamically redesigned with optimal rounding to minimize signal loss and coloration due to air friction and turbulence. They incorporate additional anti-resonance technology in their port designs to keep pipe-related tonal coloration to a minimum.
S Series cabinets
While the commanding appearance and robust construction of the S Series cabinets reflect ADAM’s foundation in industrial engineering, the aesthetics are rooted in practical considerations. The cabinets are solidly constructed from thick, vibration-resistant material to reduce unwanted resonance and coloration, even at high listening levels. The design also features large-radius rounded edges, which help to minimize unwanted edge-diffraction effects that would otherwise negatively combine with the direct sound. The robust finish affords the speakers extra protection from the stresses and strains (or stains) of daily life in a recording studio.
When your livelihood and ability to thrive in a highly competitive market depends solely on what you’re hearing, you should be listening to ADAM monitors. For assistance integrating S5V monitors into your music or post production facility, call or chat online with your PAD Studio Consultant today.
- S-ART tweeter, handmade in Berlin and manufactured to the tightest tolerances in ADAM Audio’s history:
- Allows longer operation with fewer signs of fatigue
- Their breakup is prevented by the folded diaphragms, distortions are effectively reduced to a minimum
- Advanced dynamic range due to acoustically effective diaphragm surface that is 2.5 times bigger (compared to a classic tweeter according to the piston principle)
- The air velocity ratio of 4:1 during the sound generation by folded S-ART membrane:
- Direct, fast response in the high-range even with complex transients
- Newly designed HPS and MPS waveguides, milled from a solid block of aluminum:
- Makes dispersion more consistent and imaging more stable over a wider area
- Reduction of early reflections on the surfaces of, e.g. mixing consoles, desks, etc.
- New midrange driver with one-piece hybrid dome/cone (DCH) design:
- Offering the sonic advantages of both driver types, with minimal partial resonances
- Partly responsible for the excellent mid-range dispersion characteristics of the S Series, due to improved integration with the treble driver
- Custom-built Extended Linear Excursion (ELE) bass drivers:
- Accurate audio reproduction at an extremely high resolution thanks to the precision-designed relationship between its low weight, optimized inner damping and highly rigid HexaCone membrane, in conjunction with a basket developed to eliminate unwanted resonance and distortion
- Custom-designed Symmetrical Magnet Assembly (SMA):
- Allows the voice coil a maximum excursion three times greater than that offered by previous designs, with an extended, symmetrical magnetic field ensuring linear, low-distortion operation
- Power compression effects are prevented by an intelligent self-cooling system
- Vertical 3-way system with 1 x 12" woofer and 1 x 4" DCH midrange:
- Very high resolution of the stereo image and extremely wide stereo base
- Spacious bass reflex ports on the front:
- Bass reproduction with very low compression, allows positioning close to walls
- Highly efficient PWM ICE Power amplifiers:
- Low-distortion amplification at both low and high volume levels
- Linear frequency response of 25Hz to 50kHz:
- Unbiased reproduction in a wide frequency band
- Maximum peak sound pressure per pair in 1m ≥ 128dB:
- Powerful, compression-free sound reproduction even at very high sound levels
- Custom DSP engine:
- Perfect crossovers for optimal frequency response and maximum dynamic range EQ options and presets for in-room optimization
- Limiter-based amp protection, AES3 digital inputs and board connectors for future expansion options, with a USB connector for software upgrades and computer-based control
- Analog XLR input:
- Optimized for balanced line signals
- Acoustically optimized and weightily constructed cabinets:
- Reduction of susceptibility to vibrations and unwanted edge-diffraction effect
- Two-year warranty with optional extension to 3 years with the registration of the product:
- Full repair service if required for 5 years.
- Frequency response: 25Hz - 50kHz
- THD > 100Hz: ≤0.3 %
- SPL per pair at 1m: ≥128dB
- Crossover frequencies: 250Hz / 3kHz
- power consumption: 650W
- Number: 1
- Basket Ø: 12" (312 mm)
- Voice coil Ø: 3" (76 mm)
- Cone material: HexaCone
- Number: 1
- Type: Dome / cone hybrid
- Basket Ø: 4" (100 mm)
- Voice coil Ø: 2-3/8" (60 mm)
- Cone material: Carbon composite
- Waveguide: MPS
- Number: 1
- Type: S-ART
- Diaphragm area: 4 inch² (2420 mm²)
- diaphragm Ø: 2" (56 mm)
- Velocity transform ratio: 4:1
- Diaphragm weight: 0.005 oz. (0.17g)
- Waveguide: HPS
- Number: 3
- Woofer: 1
- Type: PWM
- Power RMS: 700W
- Mid-range: 1
- Type: PWM
- power RMS: 300W
- Tweeter: 1
- Type: PWM
- power RMS: 100W
- Input sensitivity: Adjustable
- Parametric EQs: 6
- Room compensation high-shelf EQ: 1
- Room compensation low-shelf EQ: 1
- Preset memories: 5
- Delay: 0ms to 5ms
- Analog: XLR
- Input impedance: 48k ohm
- input level: +24dBu
- Digital : AES3
- Dimensions (H x W x D): 27-1/2" x 15-3/8" x 20-1/2" (698 x 390 x 520 mm)
- Weight: 114.5 lb. (52 kg)
- Warranty: 5 years (2 years warranty plus 3 years optional with product registration)
- Delivery contents: Power cord, manual