Along with modern performance enhancements, the A-Designs Audio EM-PEQ meticulously maintains the EQ-section design and control layout of the original Pultec EQP-1A, as well as its wonderfully smooth musicality. It also has the same frequency settings and inductors that made the Pultec a must-have for capturing the bottom end. Makeup amplification is achieved through the use of the same discrete Class AB amplifier found in A-Designs Audio’s immensely popular solid-state Pacifica mic preamp—putting a slightly unique and modern twist on the classic design of yesteryear.
The EM-PEQ’s controls attenuate high band at 5k, 10k, 20kHz; vary bandwidth AND boost mid to high band at 3k, 4k, 5k, 6k, 10k, 12k, 16kHz; and boost or attenuate the low band at 20Hz, 30Hz, 60Hz, or 100Hz. Boost and attenuation range from 0dB to ±10dB.
Additional features of the EM-PEQ include a nickel-core output transformer, gold Grayhill rotary switches, Wima caps, and a true hard-wired bypass. Plus, instead of using common off-the-shelf chokes, A-Designs uses a custom tapped inductor, wound to the original values as the original Pultec. Along with the classic EQ circuitry, layout, and exceptionally musical sound of the classic Pultec, the EM-PEQ offers fully balanced, noise-free performance and modern impedance specs for easy operation and fast studio integration.
In the world of pro audio recording, there are two types of equalizers: those that you don’t want to hear in action (“surgical or corrective EQ), and those that you do (“color, or character” EQ). The EM-PEQ is one you most definitely do. Unlike any other 500-Series equalizer, the A-Designs EM-PEQ sits on the extreme end of the “character” bench. It focuses on “correcting” that which cannot be fixed by so-called surgical EQs: the enhancement of tone and musicality.
The EM-PEQ is also available as the EM-EQ2, a 2-channel, 2U rackmount version offered at the same price as two EM-PEQs and a 500HR power rack. Whether you prefer to work with the 500-Series form factor or standard rackmount format, both the EM-PEQ and EM-EQ2 are identical in both sound quality and functionality.
- The first and only Pultec-style equalizer in the 500-Series format
- Three-band EQ with the same control layout as original Pultec
- Fully balanced, noise-free performance and modern impedance specs
- Same frequency settings and inductors as original Pultec make it a must-have for capturing bottom end
- Excels at tracking, mixing and mastering—a truly magical EQ!
- Perfectly compatible with API lunchbox (or A-Designs 500HR rack)
- True hard-wired bypass
- A-Designs proprietary-wound tapped Inductor
- A-Designs proprietary nickel alloy output transformer
- Quick and easy studio integration
- Wima capacitors