The Universal Audio Apollo Twin MkII is a two-channel Thunderbolt desktop interface featuring UA’s flagship conversion, real-time tracking via two Unison™ preamps powered by UAD-2 QUAD Core DSP acceleration, and UA’s Analog Classics plug-in collection.
Until the UA Apollo Twin MKII arrived on the scene, home recordists simply had to accept the fact that at the price they could afford, the best any desktop audio interface could provide would be demo quality. The idea of making a competitive commercial record was simply out of reach. Even if you have no intention or expectation of commercial release, and simply want to archive your music with the best sound you can under the constraints of a limited budget, the Universal Audio Apollo Twin MkII is for you. Along with the same ADA conversion found in UA’s flagship Apollo interfaces, the Apollo Twin MkII features two Unison™ preamps that enable you to record in real time and mix with UAD’s world-class powered plug-in modeling used every day on professional recordings. The Apollo Twin MkII’s built-in UAD-2 DSP acceleration lets you track and mix with the authentic analog feel and tone of high-end preamps and processors including UA’s own 610 tube preamp as well as preamps by Neve, API, Manley, and SSL. You also have access to equalizers compressors including the famed Pultec EQ and Teletronix LA-2A and UA 1176LN compressors. With the Universal Audio Apollo Twin MkII desktop interface, there’s no million-dollar speed bump between you and professional-quality sound.
Universal Audio Apollo Twin MKII—Just the Facts:
- Desktop 2x6 Thunderbolt audio interface for Mac and Windows with next-generation 24-bit/192 kHz audio conversion
- Available UAD-2 QUAD, DUO, or SOLO Core Processing for tracking through vintage compressors, EQs, tape machines, mic preamps, and guitar amp plug-ins with near-zero latency
- Unison™ technology offers stunning models of classic tube and transformer-based preamps, guitar amps, and stompboxes
- Built-in talkback mic for communication with studio talent and recording slate cues
- Improved monitor functionality including monitor remote functions and Mono, Mute, DIM, and ALT monitor controls
- 2 premium Unison mic/line preamps; 2 line outputs; front-panel Hi-Z instrument input and headphone output
- 2 digitally controlled analog monitor outputs for full resolution at all listening levels
- Up to 8 channels of additional digital input via Optical TOSLINK connection
- Includes the "Realtime Analog Classics" UAD plug-in bundle. Other UAD plug-ins sold separately
- Runs UAD Powered Plug-Ins via VST, RTAS, & AAX 64 in all major DAWs
- Uncompromising analog design, superior components, and premium build quality
- Free, industry-leading technical support — on the phone and online — from knowledgeable audio engineers
- Record with world-class Apollo A/D and D/A conversion — as heard on hundreds of hit records
- Cascade up to 4 Apollo interfaces and 6 UAD-2 devices over Thunderbolt, adding DSP and I/O as your studio grows
- Mix with UAD plug‑ins like the included Teletronix® LA‑2A and 1176 compressors, Pultec® EQs, and 610‑B Preamp
- Track with near-zero latency through preamp emulations from Neve®, API®, Manley® and more using Unison™ technology
Universal Audio Apollo Twin MkII—Under the Hood
Unison Technology: The genuine sound of Neve, SSL, API, and Manley preamps
The Universal Audio Apollo Twin MkII is a ground-up redesign of the world’s most popular professional desktop recording interface for Mac and Windows — delivering enhanced audio conversion with the tone, feel, and flow of analog recording.
Built upon UA’s 60-year heritage of audio craftsmanship, Apollo Twin MkII starts with two Unison™-enabled mic preamps and stellar next-generation A/D and D/A conversion derived from UA’s flagship Apollo 8, 8p, and 16. Together with its included bundle of UAD analog emulation plug-ins — which you can track through in real time with UAD-2 SOLO, DUO or QUAD Core processing — Apollo Twin MkII is born to make records.
Apollo Twin MkII features two Unison-enabled mic preamps, letting you track through exacting mic preamp emulations from Neve, SSL, API, Manley, and Universal Audio. An Apollo exclusive, Unison technology nails the tone of these sought-after tube and solid state mic pres — including their input impedance, gain stage “sweet spots,” and the component-level circuit behaviors of the original hardware.
The secret to Unison is its hardware-software integration between Apollo’s mic preamps and its onboard UAD-2 QUAD or DUO Core DSP Acceleration. Simply place a Unison preamp plug-in on your mic input in Apollo Console software, and it physically re-configures the Apollo interface's impedance — so you can tap into the classic sounds of the world’s most recorded mic preamps.
A full suite of classic analog processing onboard
Right out of the box, Apollo Twin MkII provides a suite of incredible analog emulation plug-ins including the world’s only authentic Teletronix LA-2A, 1176LN, Pultec EQs, and the Unison-enabled UA 610-B Tube Preamp. Developed by UA’s world-renowned team of algorithm engineers, these Realtime Analog Classics plug-ins set the standard by which all other hardware emulation plug-ins are judged.
From the tube warmth of the Pultec EQ on guitars, to the gentle limiting of the LA-2A on vocals, your recordings will take a giant leap forward in rich, sonically complex analog sound.
Fill your virtual racks with UAD powered plug-ins
Beyond the included Realtime Analog Classics plug-ins, Apollo Twin MkII lets you tap into the full library award-winning UAD Powered Plug-ins—including vintage EQs, compressors, reverbs, tape machines and more—at near-zero latency, regardless of your audio software’s buffer size and without taxing your computer’s CPU.
With exclusive emulations from Neve, Studer, Manley, API, Ampex, Lexicon, Fender, and more, it’s like having a million-dollar analog studio right on your desktop. And unlike competing interfaces, these DSP-powered plug-ins are also available in your DAW for mixing.
Realtime Analog Classics Bundle
With the Realtime Analog Classics plug-in bundle, you get legendary compressors like the Teletronix LA-2A and EQs like the Pultec EQP-1A, stunning guitar and bass amp emulations from Softube, as well as UA’s landmark 610-B Tube Preamp and EQ plug-in.
Included Analog Classics plug-ins:
- UA 610-B
- Marshall Plexi Classic Amplifier
- Teletronix LA-2A Legacy
- UA 1176LN Legacy
- UA 1176SE Legacy
- Pultec EQP-1A Legacy
- Pultec Pro Legacy
- Ampeg SVT-VR Classic Bass Amp
- Precision Channel Strip
- Precision Reflection Engine
- Precision Delay Modulation
- Precision Delay Modulation L
- Raw Distortion
Next-generation A/D-D/A conversion
Without doubt, the mark of any audio interface is the quality of its conversion. Apollo Twin MkII improves upon the original Apollo Twin’s gold-standard audio quality with completely redesigned A/D and D/A conversion—giving you increased dynamic range and ultra-low THD. This next-generation conversion results in breathtaking clarity, depth, and accuracy in your recordings.
Who’s using the Universal Audio Apollo
Apollo is the confirmed choice of hit-making professionals, used to record landmark albums by Kendrick Lamar (DAMN.), Chris Stapleton (From A Room: Volume 1), Arcade Fire (Everything Now), Post Malone (Beerbongs & Bentleys), and many more. The Apollo range of interfaces has earned numerous industry awards from Sound on Sound, Future Music, and Electronic Musician—as well as the prestigious 2016 TEC Award for computer audio hardware.
What the pros are saying about Apollo and Apollo Twin MkII
“The Apollo has some of the better preamps I've ever heard—lots of headroom, quiet at high-gains, and the converters are really sweet sounding.” — Mick Guzauski (Daft Punk, Mariah Carey, Eric Clapton)
“The Apollo's ability to do low latency—I mean that's the whole ballgame right there” —Joey Waronker (Atoms for Peace, Beck, Other Lives)
“Using my Apollos and Console 2.0, I was able to front a live mix, create a monitor mix, and record to Pro Tools, all at the same time. That’s pretty awesome.” — Chris Dugan (Green Day, Iggy Pop, U2)
“Apollo is a platform that grows more powerful with every innovation—the UAD plug-in processing onboard has changed the way I work forever.” — Tony Platt (AC/DC, Bob Marley, Buddy Guy)
“I knew about the ingredients of Apollo, but this is truly a special dish. The Apollo just set a new standard of excellence for audio interfaces, in terms of both its sound and its feature set.” — Fab Dupont (Shakira, Santigold, Jennifer Lopez)
“My Apollos are my sound.<br>Where I go, they go.” — Trevor Lawrence Jr. (Dr. Dre, Herbie Hancock, Eminem)
“With the Apollo 8 in the studio and an Apollo Twin on the go, I know I've got the best sound quality and an incredible arsenal of plug-ins—wherever I'm working.” — Jeremy Ruzumna (Fitz And The Tantrums)
“Having the Apollo with UAD plug-ins at my disposal is like carrying a giant studio with outboard racks at all times. Minus the tech fees, down time, and electricity bill!” — Andrew Dawson (Kanye West, Jay-Z, Fun.)
“Everyone assumes I use all this outboard gear, but one of the things I love about the Apollo Twin and UAD plug-ins, is that I can get incredible sounds on the go, in a hotel room if I have to.” — Louis Bell (Post Malone, DJ Snake, Cardi B)
“I’m totally blown away by the stunning sound quality of the Apollo. The ability to use UAD plug-ins in real-time is pure genius. It’s going to be the centerpiece of my new studio.” — Richard Devine
“The Apollo is a powerhouse and a game changer for my studio.” — Grieves
“The Apollo is the best I/O we've ever used, and we've tried them all. It has an incredibly clean, transparent, and accurate sound.” — The Glitch Mob
Improved monitoring and built‑In talkback mic
The Apollo Twin MkII offers greatly improved monitor functionality versus the original, with Mute, DIM, Mono, and ALT speaker switching. It also includes dedicated monitor remote controls and a built-in talkback mic for easy communication with talent and/or recording slate cues. These features, combined with Apollo Twin MkII's scalability, make it the new standard for professional desktop recording.
Build a networked studio
Thanks to Apollo Expanded software, users of any Thunderbolt-equipped Apollo Twin, Apollo 8, Apollo 8p, and Apollo 16 audio interfaces can combine up to four Apollos and six total UAD-2 devices, adding I/O and DSP as your studio grows. Apollo Twin MkII makes the perfect intelligent desktop controller for a full Apollo system.
If you’re ready to make a record in the comfort of your home or hotel suite, order a Universal Audio Apollo Twin MkII today. For more information, call or chat online with your PAD Studio Specialist.
Jacquire King Compares Vintage Analog Hardware to Apollo & Unison / UAD Plug-Ins
How to Setup and Record with Apollo Interfaces and Console Software. Fab Dupont
- Apple Mac computer with available Thunderbolt port
- macOS 10.11 El Capitan, 10.12 Sierra, 10.13 High Sierra, or 10.14 Mojave
- PC computer with built-in Thunderbolt 3 port
- Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (64-Bit Edition)
- Qualified Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter (sold separately)
- Thunderbolt 2 cable (sold separately)
- 6 gigabytes available storage
- Internet connection to download software and authorize UAD plug-ins
- Compatible VST, Audio Units, RTAS, or AAX 64 plug-in host DAW software
- Quad Core i7 or better processor recommended