The Universal Audio 2-610 is a dual-channel tube preamp with high- and low-shelving EQ, selectable input impedance, Hi-Z input, and custom transformers, based on the legendary UA 610 modular console.
When Bill Putnam Sr. founded Universal Audio, recording consoles were not commercially available. They were all custom-built and specified by a studio’s head engineer to ensure impedance matches to maintain signal integrity with existing equipment, such as equalizers, compressors, sends to echo chambers, etc. Putnam’s Universal Audio was the first to introduce the 610 Modular Amplifier, which comprised the all-tube 610 preamp with equalizer, three program outputs, and an echo send with an independent level control. Only 25 or so of the 610 modular consoles were built for studios and artists. One was made for Wally Heider’s studio, which later found its way into the home studio of Neil Young (with which he recorded Harvest and other classic albums), while others found their way to luminary artists including Ray Charles, and Frank Sinatra. Known for its silky rich character and 3-dimensional sound, UA 610 preamps contributed to the sound records by Coldplay, Arcade Fire, The Doors, The Dixie Chicks, Van Halen, and the Beach Boys, whose landmark UA 610-infused Pet Sounds influenced Paul McCartney to conceive Sargent Pepper.
Universal Audio 2-610—Unique Features:
- Record with an all-tube, dual-channel preamp derived from the Bill Putnam-designed 610 modular console
- Add tube warmth and saturation with Variable impedance Input, Gain, and Output level controls
- High and Low shelving EQ for ultra-musical tone shaping
- Track through vintage UA circuits
Universal Audio 2-610—Just the Facts:
- All-tube dual channel preamplifier derived from legendary Bill Putnam-designed 610 modular console
- Variable impedance Input, Gain, and Output levels
- High and Low shelving EQ
- Mic, balanced line and Hi-Z inputs
- Custom wound double sized alloy transformers
- Front panel -15 dB Pad switch
- Improved EQ circuit and more “open” sonics
- Ultra quiet operation
- Updated “silverface” cosmetics; enhanced build quality
- Hand-built in USA; backed by 1-year limited warranty
Universal Audio 2-610—Behind the Curtain
The 2-610 Dual Channel Tube Preamplifier builds on the foundation of the classic Putnam console by adding enhanced, user-requested features as well as a more modern workflow. Offering features such as extended top-end response and a -15 dB pad — as well as circuit tweaks for improved stability — the 2-610 preamp is perfect for any source and genre.
The 2-610 Dual Channel Tube Preamplifier gives you two channels of this legendary piece of music history. Whether you’re running pure analog or enhancing a digital audio workstation, the 2-610 brings classic tube character to any recording project.
What the pros are saying about the UA 2-610
Simultaneously familiar, complimentary, and satisfying, the 610 capures the moment, but also adds a unique color” — Carl Glanville (U2, Billy Joel, Counting Crows)
“I used the 2-610 pretty extensively with Norah Jones. It’s just an incredible sounding preamp. You can crank on the EQ and it never sounds harsh.” — Jacquire King (James Bay, Kings of Leon, Tom Waits)
The rich, euphonic sound and dimensionality of the Universal Audio 2-610 never goes out of style. It sounded great when it was first invented, and still sounds great now. Order yours today. For more information, call or chat online with your PAD Studio Consultant.
- Microphone input impedance: Selectable, 500 ohm / 2k ohm
- Balanced line input impedance: 13.8k ohm
- Hi-Z input impedance : Selectable between 2.2M ohm / 47k ohm
- Maximum microphone input level: +3.5dBu
- Maximum output level: +20dBm
- Internal output impedance: 60 ohm
- Recommended minimum load: 600 ohm
- Frequency response: 20Hz to 20kHz, ±1dB
- Max gain: 61dB
- Signal-to-noise ratio: Greater than 82dB
- Tube Complement: (1) 12AX7A and (1) 12AT7 per channel
- Power requirements: 115/230 volts
- Power consumption: 30 watts
- Dimensions (W,H,D): 19" x 3-1/2" x 12-1/4" (19" Rackmount chassis, 2U)
- Weight: 12.25 lb.