The SSL X-Rack Dynamics Module, featuring SuperAnalogue circuitry taken from the XL 9000 K console, is an over-easy compressor/limiter with a gate/expander section that includes a variable hysteresis for chatter-free operation
One of the benefits of being one of the top three console makers is not just the experience that comes from decades of being a leader in pro audio design but also the benefit of feedback from the top mixers and engineers that the industry has to offer. So when it comes to creating channel strips with preamps, EQ, and compression, you can be sure SSL will give you all the useful features you need, along with superior control capabilities and sonics. Taken from the XL 9000 K series SuperAnalogue console, the X-Rack dynamics module offers smooth, transparent compression and a gate/expander section that operates without chatter, which is very useful for keeping headphone bleed or breaths out of vocal tracks. The Dynamics Module, loaded with control features, is simple to use and ideal for gentle and unobtrusive level control.
SSL X-Rack Dynamics Module—Just the Facts:
- Fully balanced XLR input and output
- Switched -10dB/+4dB operating level
- Dedicated compression meter display
- Over-easy RMS compressor, switchable to peak sensing hard knee
- Variable Ratio, Threshold, and Release
- External key operation
- Independently switched Gate/Expander section
- Link facility for multiple module linking
X-Rack Dynamics Module—Under the Hood
The Compressor/Limiter has two modes of signal detection, Peak and RMS. This gives two very different modes of compression and limiting with Peak Mode providing far more dramatic compression characteristics.
Rather than include the added circuitry of a bypass, when the ratio control is turned to 1:1, the compressor/limiter section is inactive. Turning the control clockwise increases the compression ratio, giving a true limiter at the fully clockwise position. The compressor normally has an “over-easy” characteristic. Pressing the PK button switches to peak sensing, replacing the over-easy characteristic with a hard knee, which is very effective for percussive sounds.
The threshold and ratio controls along with their normal function, also provide automatic make-up gain, so as you lower the threshold and introduce more compression, the output level is increased to maintain (approximately) the same perceived loudness regardless of the amount of compression.
Normally the attack time is program dependent (3mS – 30mS). However, you can use the FST ATT button to select a fixed fast attack time (3mS for 20dB gain reduction).
This section can act as a ∞:1 Gate or as a 2:1 Expander. For smooth operation, variable hysteresis is incorporated in the threshold circuitry to prevent triggering of the gate when the signal is close to the threshold level. This means that the signal has to decay roughly 2dB below the threshold level before the gate will start to close. The side chain signal can be sourced either from the signal feeding the dynamic or the external Key input. LED meters independently indicate amount of compression and expansion.
For multi-mono operation, the sidechain control signals of multiple modules can be linked by pressing the Link switch on the modules you wish to gang. When two (or more) Dynamics sections are linked, the control voltages of each section sum together, so that whichever section has the most gain reduction will control the other section.
The SSL Dynamics Module is the compressor section of your do-it-yourself mini XL 9000 K SuperAnalogue console. Just add EQ and Mic Amps and you’re good to go. For more information, call or chat online with your PAD Studio Specialist.
- Frequency response: ±0.2dB from 20Hz to 20kHz –3dB at 130kHz
- THD + N (+10dBu applied): < 0.01% at 1kHz
- Output headroom: > +26dBu at onset of clipping
- Noise: < –88dBu
- THD + N
- (Fast Attack Mode): < 0.3% at 1kHz
- < 0.05% at 10kHz
- THD + N
- (Slow Attack Mode): < 0.03% at 1kHz < 0.05% at 10kHz
Compressor Limiter controls:
- Ratio (slope): Variable from 1 to infinity (limit)
- Threshold: Variable from +10dB to –30dB
- Attack Time: Normally auto sensing, switchable to 1mS
- Release: Variable from 0.1 to 4 seconds
- Range: Variable from 0 to 40dB
- Variable from –30dB to +10dB
- Attack Time:
- Normally auto-sensing, switchable to 150μs
- Hold Time: Variable from 0 to 4 seconds
- Release Time:
- Variable from 0.1 to 4 seconds