This pre-owned SSL C300 HD features 48-faders, a combined 128 channels of digital and analog I/O, multiple DAW control, support for up to three separate mixers, enhanced automation, user-programmable control surface, and much more. At 5% of its original cost, you can have one of the most powerful and flexible mixing consoles in the world—backed by PAD’s service and support
The C300 was released a short while after SSL was purchased by notable musician Peter Gabriel and engineer-physicist-entrepreneur David Engelke, whose imaging, editing, and analysis technologies earned him and his companies three Emmy Awards from the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences, an Oscar from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, and a technical Grammy from the Recording Academy. As such, you can see the level of expertise that went into the creation of the C300 HD. Designed to make the most of limited physical space while providing exceptional DSP power, its a compact, assignable console built from the ground up for fast, efficient mixing and track sweetening with a focus on the requirements of non-linear film and TV production. The SSL C300 delivers the ultimate in operational efficiency with SSL’s comprehensive automation and stellar sound quality.
Solid State Logic C300 HD—Just the Facts:
- 96 digital channels
- 96 analog channels
- Tri-level sync support
- Serial control of HD VTRs
- Enhanced 96kHz feature set with provision for up to 16 discrete audio channels
- Pec/Direct* switch option
- 3- or 4-channel side/rear surround panning
- Extended DAW control with SoftKey keyboard commands
- Tilting center screen option
- Improved center section GUI with larger timecode display, 32 full-resolution meters, and extended Mix Pass list display with 10 levels of undo
- Enhanced automation with new Auto Fill function and Master ALL Safe (Protect) function
- Settings libraries for EQ and dynamics
- Optional 4-port MADI daughter card
*PAD Tech Note: Pec/Dir provides a means of level-matching between recorder playback and direct signal from the console. “Dir” is fairly easy to figure out, being the first three letters of the word, “Direct,” which monitors signal from the console to the recorder. “Pec” on the other hand, is a little more arcane. In function, it’s playback from a recorder or dubber to the console. A relic from the past, Pec stands for Photo Electric Cell. Back in the day, recorders on the dub stage were optical.
Solid State Logic C300 HD—Beneath the Surface
Time-saving automation and DAW control
The C300 HD delivers significant time savings in the critical mixing stage of a project, offering increased workflow and true cost efficiency, particularly when compared to the compromised quality and throughput imposed by semi-pro audio editing equipment, which cannot provide the nonlinear multi-input automation, superior sonics, and integration advantages of a professional solution.
The C300 HD integrates DAW control innovations SSL pioneered for the AWS 900+ Analogue Workstation System. These features literally bring the workstation into the console allowing seamless interaction between console and DAW, including advanced integration with Pro Tools and Pyramix right on the console’s surface.
Automation developed for the C200 Digital Production Console implemented in the C300 HD provides complete real-time and non-real-time control over the console’s powerful signal processing. This allows operators to slow down fast moves to a more manageable pace, or even set up entire scenes with the press of a locate key, saving massive amounts of time while delivering the subtle control required to satisfy the most demanding producers or directors.
Time-saving and workflow-boosting features of the C300 HD include:
- Dynamic Resource Allocation™ instantly places processing power where you need it
- Huge mixing capacity (over 500 mix inputs and 80 mix busses, with DSP from a single Centuri processor)
- Process linking and stacked channel grouping puts stems and groups under one fader
- Unique MoXY™ controller provides creative, real-time, cross-parameter control
- Integrated multi-machine control including DAW control, a true master studio system
- Integrated 128 input, multi-format surround monitoring including compatibility checking, essential for modern multimedia productions
- Multi-user configuration from a single C-Series processor means cost-effective, feature scale production capability
- Fully scalable from 8 to 96 faders – up to 512 channels
- Multiple sample rates including pull-ups and pull-downs for international compatibility
- Multi-operator capable with up to three independent master sections
With powerful DSP available to all channels, the C300 HD offers over 500 mix inputs, 80 mix busses and true multi-operator capability from a single processing core. C300 HD is a truly integrated control and processing solution that will make your facility more efficient.
User-programmable control surface
Because the C300 control surface is fully programmable by the user, it offers the power and flexibility of setting up a library of recallable console presets. User presets can cover everything from the favorite workflow settings of individual engineers to recalling specific projects or console configurations supporting client preferences and work styles.
Power and control is not an issue
The C300 HD makes the perfect nerve center for commercial dubbing and post facilities, combining all of the essential elements of the mixing process within the console itself. Its unique combination of flexible open architecture, Stellar SSL audio fidelity, comprehensive multi-format monitoring, multi-system machine control, and highly evolved hardware surface that seamlessly integrates hands-on control of the console’s internal audio path and multiple DAWs offers a level of quality and improved workflow simply not available in other consoles or control surfaces.
HD Post Production
The commercial success of HDTV and Home Theatre Surround systems, combined with the availability of high-quality broadcast HD programming and HD DVD content, requires a radical new approach to Audio Post Production. The universal consumer adoption of 7.1 playback systems with independently addressable side and rear speaker pairs means that HD sound will eventually need to be mixed natively for this format, and that current methodology of using an analog matrix to synthesize a mono rear signal from the existing 5.1 stereo surround information will not remain acceptable in the long term. C300 HD provides the tools required to support these latest developments and more.
SSL C300 HD features in depth:
- Ergonomic work surface with excellent visual feedback
- Vertical Fader ‘Stacks’ simplify mapping complex track layouts to a fixed console configuration
- High-resolution TFTs display routing and processing
- Direct (HUI) control of up to 4 DAWs simultaneously
- 128 x 8 monitor matrix, 64 Pec/Direct channels, and 8-ch Monitor insert
- 4 x 7.1 Monitor Outputs, each with an independent 8 x 8 Format matrix
- Panning options for new HD surround formats including side and rear speaker layouts
- TimeFreeze automation system supports still and step frame parameter data entry
- Multichannel formatting (up to 7.1) for the 80 mix busses
- Full timecode and system sync support for 23.976, 24, 25, 29.97 and 30 HD frame rates
- System reference accepts HD Tri-Level Sync, SD Video, AES and Word clock signals
- Fs and 2Fs sample rates at 44.1kHz and 48kHz with 0.1% pull up/pull-down options
- Scalable DSP provides from 32 to 512 mix inputs (plus 80 mix busses and full monitoring facilities as standard)
- Flexible channel linking and formatting allows easy creation of multichannel inputs, for up to 7.1 surround
- Instant allocation/optimization of audio processing – new layouts can be made without requiring a restart
- Online multi-user setup of control surface and DSP
- Integral machine control via 4 serial machine control ports, wide speed time code reader/generator and MMC
- Central touchscreen for machine and monitor control
- 32 x 32 main ‘re-record’ matrix with output processing
The 15U x 19" Centuri core houses easy access power supplies, audio, and control processing with Telecom-quality secured connection to the rear panel and I/O options within the single, robust chassis.
The Centuri core supplies four serial machine control ports, one DCTM parallel port and LTC/MTC time code outputs for external machine control. A compact flash drive is included for project data archive and an optional Super MO drive for the project is available. A panel fitted with 16 MIDI connectors provides connection for up to 4 DAW HUI advance control.
All of the C300’s I/O is able to run at 96kHz operation. It’s possible to mix any incoming signal at any provided format with any other signal, running a different format, word length or sample rate. To maintain sufficient airflow, the Centuri core is equipped with fans. Suitable acoustic isolation between the machine room and the control room is therefore required.
Who’s using the SSL C300 HD
The C300 is found in diverse facilities the world over, such as the Paris-based post-production facility Creative Sound; Paragon Studios in Franklin, Tenn.; Wildfire Studios in Hollywood; Walt Disney/Imagineering, the engineering, design, research and development arm of the Walt Disney Company; the world-class Imagica post-production facilities in Japan; and Mosfilm, the state-owned Russian film production giant.