The LavryBlue System is a modular design which allows the end user to populate the 1U 19" chassis with stereo modules that provide a variety of functions. Each unit may hold up to 4 channels of microphone preamplification, up to 8 channels of analog to digital conversion (ADC) or 8 channels of digital to analog conversion (DAC); or a combination of these functions. Each module has two channels and fills either 1 or 2 of the 4 available module slots in the chassis. Basic systems can be ordered with a minimum of one stereo module, allowing user installation of additional modules at a later date.
MODULES AVAILABLE FOR THE 4496 CHASSIS:
- LavryBlue M-AD 824: a 2-channel ADC module requiring 1 module slot.
- LavryBlue M-DA 824: a 2-channel DAC module requiring 1 module slot.
- LavryBlue MicPre Module: a 2-channel microphone preamplification module requiring 2 module slots.
In addition to these modules, any chassis which includes any ADC channels will also include a LavryBlue M-Sync.
This multichannel clock synchronization module features ultra-stable crystal-referenced internal or external sync operation at 44.1, 48, 88.2, and 96 kHz. Wide lock mode is available for non-standard sample rates or vari-speed operation.
One M∙SYNC is required to provide clocking and synchronization for all M∙AD824 AD converter modules contained in the same 4496 chassis; This module also provides Word Clock out to synch other units and allow multiple racks of LavryBlue to function as one system.
ADVANTAGES OF THE MODULAR DESIGN:
- Ideal for multi-channel systems.
- Independent operation of the AD and DA converter clocking. Each M∙DA824 stereo DA converter module clocks from the incoming digital audio steam. This allows recording and playback at different sample rates with devices that are not synchronized; for example- record to a DAW at 96kHz while playing back a CD from a stand-alone CD player. Multiple M∙DA’s can also operate either independently for playback of unsynchronized sources at different sample rates, or sample-accurately in multi-channel systems.
- Minimal systems can contain one AD, one DA, or one of each for stereo applications. Another popular configuration is one AD and two DA modules for “looping” a signal out of a DAW and monitoring the re-encoded signal; as in Mastering systems with analog and digital processing.
- Microphone preamplifiers can be used independently of the converters, or with analog processing inserted between the MicPre and AD input.
- Digital AES/XLR inputs and outputs are compatible with most SPDIF/RCA I/O using simple adapters or adapter cables.
- Field expandability allows the system to grow as your needs change or budget allows.
- Multichannel clock synchronization for all A-to-D channels
- Ultra-stable crystal-referenced internal or external sync operation at 44.1, 48, 88.2, and 96 kHz
- Wide lock mode is available for non-standard sample rates or vari-speed operation
- Word Clock out to synch other units
- 4 channels of sonically transparent 24 bit Lavry A-to-D conversion
- Option to output digital audio 24 bit, 16 bit, or 16 bit plus dither and αcoustic βit Correction™ noise shaping.
- Accurate LED metering.
- Analog and Digital Saturation modes allow hotter recording levels.
- Location Recording
- Live/Location Sound
- Post Production
LAVRYBLUE 4496 CHASSIS SPECIFICATIONS
- The 4496 Chassis is a standard 1U 19”rack unit.
- Input Voltage-
- “Universal” input accepts inputs of 90-264VAC, 47-63Hz, Internally fused 2.5A
- Current Consumption @120VAC-
- Steady-state: Typically less than 0.5A (Varies with configuration/number of modules).
- Steady-state Maximum: 1A
- 19” wide x 11.5”deep x 1.75” high (Enclosure minus clearance for switches and connectors measures 10.5” deep)
- Approximate Weight-
- ~ 9 lbs (Varies with configuration/number of modules).
- INTERNAL CLOCK ACCURACY:
- +/- 25 ppm (parts per million)
- NARROW MODE LOCK RANGE:
- +/- 150 PPM for standard sample rates: 44.1, 48, 88.2, & 96 kHz.
- WIDE MODE LOCK RANGE:
- 42-50 kHz range in “LOW”
- 84-100 kHz range in “HIGH”
- SYNC INPUT:
- The unit accepts an input sync signal at the rear panel BNC labeled “SYNC IN.”
- This can be either a standard: Sample rate WORD CLOCK “5V TTL level” (2.5V-5V amplitude) or an AES SYNC SIGNAL (2.5V-5V amplitude).
- The input IS NOT internally terminated.
- SYNC OUTPUT:
- The unit provides an output sync signal at the rear panel BNC labeled “SYNC OUT.” The signal is useful for driving another LavryBlue 4496 system (for example a multi-channel application requiring more than 8 channels of A-to-D). The output clock is a 75-ohm back terminated 3V signal (compatible with the BNC input of the next 4496 chassis and standard WORD CLOCK inputs).
- Dynamic Range (22Hz – 22KHz unweighted):
- THD+N (1KHz unweighted), Internal clock or NARROW lock, typical and worst case:
- -1dBFS -98dBFS typical. -96dBFS worst case.
- -3dBFS -102dBFS typical, -98dBFS worst case.
- -10dBFS -109dBFS typical, -107dBFS worst case.
- -20dBFS -112dBFS typical, -110dBFS worst case.
- Common mode rejection:
- Greater then 100dBFS for AC power line frequencies (measured by applying 24dBu 100Hz common mode input signal, with no internal gain)
- Analog input levels (balanced or unbalanced source):
- 24dBu peak level with no internal gain (front panel pots counter clockwise)
- 13dBu peak level with maximum internal gain (front panel pots clockwise)
- Analog input Gain:
- 11dB’s available internal gain. Gain increases when turning Front Panel pots clockwise.
- Analog inputs:
- Female XLR Electronically balanced +4dBu nominal level, Input impedance 5k Ohms,
configured for XLR Pin 2 “+” factory default (user selectable by internal DIP switch).
- Digital Output:
- Male XLR AES Digital interface- transformer coupled, SPDIF compatible with appropriate adapters.
- Output Word length:
- 24, 20 or 16 bits selectable from the front panel.
- Bar Graph display:
- 21 lamps indication (color coded) for each channel, including MAX lamp (for digital overload), 0 to –10dBFS in 1 dB increments, -12 to –20dBFS in 2dB increments, followed by –25, -30, -40 and –50dBFS to indicate low level activity.
- Reference Meter Mode:
- Enables selection of reference points (indication lamps) on the bar graph display, to –10, -12, -14, -16, -18 or –20dBFS levels. The magnified input signal is indicated in reference to the selected reference level in 0.2 dB steps.
- Enables distortion and noise floor modulation free truncation to 20 or 16 bits word length.
- Acoustic Bit Correction™ (αβC™):
- Dither plus psychoacoustic enhancement of the converter dynamic range for truncation to 20 or 16 bits.
- αβC-1 provides a gentler enhancement curve. αβC-2 provides an aggressive enhancement curve.
Note: αβC-1 and αβC-2 may be replaced by less aggressive curves using the internal DIP switch.