The Chassis will work with Protools 7 and up to Protools 8.0. Unlike Magma PE6R4 this Chassis is not compatible with Protools 9 and will not work with Snow Leopard.
Digidesign did not develop any driver for the host card, without a driver it could not work with Snow Leopard, therefore it was not compatible with Protools 9. There is presently a third-party Firm that has created a driver for Mac Computers that makes this PCI-E host Card Compatible with Snow Leopard OSX 10.6. Since I do not have Pro Tools 9, I do not know if with the Driver the Digidesign Expansion HD Chassis would be able to work with Pro Tools 9. The Host Card Driver for OSX 10.6 and for OSX 10.5.8 will be provided to the Buyer of the Chassis, the Drivers are for Mac Computers only.
Provides expansion for up to six Digidesign PCI cards
Supports expanded PCI Pro Tools|HD and Pro Tools|HD Accel systems
Comes with one HD Core card and 2 HD accel cards
Flexible five-meter cable included
Can be placed up to ten meters away from CPU using a ten-meter cable (sold separately)
Durable 19", 4U rack-mountable chassis System Requirements:
Ilok with Pro Tools 8 License
Digidesign-approved Windows XP- or Mac-based dual-processor host computer with a PCI or PCI Express card slot
Apple Mac Pro (Intel-based desktop)
Apple Dual or Quad Processors Power Mac G5 PCIe (PCI Express slots)
Pro Tools|HD or Pro Tools|HD Accel system for PCI (PCIe cards are not supported for use within the Digidesign Expansion|HD chassis)
1 GB RAM in host computer
Pro Tools HD 7.1 or higher software
Contains six 32-bit/33 MHz PCI slots
Power Supply:300W universal, auto-input switching with a standard IEC power connector. Power supply can run on 90–240 volts AC, +/- 10%.
Certifications: CE compliance, UL certification, FCC Class A approved
Enclosure Size: 19", 4U, rack-mountable
Cooling: 47 CFM Fan, 28 dB
Cable: 5M RJ45 Shielded Cat 6
Maximum Supported Sample Rate: 192 kHz
The Digidesign Expansion|HD 6 Slot Expansion Chassis is officially qualified for use with Pro Tools|HD and Pro Tools|HD Accel PCI card systems with the following systems:
• Pro Tools HD 8.0 for Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) — Intel-based Mac Pro; PowerPC-based Power Mac G4, Power Mac G5 PCI, Power Mac G5 PCIe models
• Pro Tools HD 8.0 for Windows Vista
• Pro Tools HD 7.1, 7.2, 7.3, 7.4, and 8.0 for Windows XP
• Pro Tools HD 7.2.1 7.3, and 7.4 for Mac OS X 10.4 ( Tiger) — Intel-based Mac Pro
• Pro Tools HD 7.1, 7.2, 7.3, and 7.4 for Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) — PowerPC-based Power Mac G4, Power Mac G5 PCI, Power Mac G5 PCIe models
Setup & Requirements
• Up to 6 Pro Tools|HD PCI cards: 1 HD Core card, any combination of HD Accel and/or HD Process PCI cards, with the following exception:
• A maximum of 3 HD Process cards can be used with the Expansion|HD chassis
• When launching Pro Tools with more than 3 HD Process cards, the following error is seen: "Could not find the Digidesign Expansion Chassis. Please make sure unit is connected and powered up"
• For proper operation, card order MUST be: HD Core card, then all HD Accel cards, then all HD Process cards (if any)
• Slot orders in the chassis run from left (closest to the power supply) to right
• DigiTest will NOT reflect the actual card order. System Usage window in Pro Tools will reflect the proper card order.
• Only 4 HD cards are addressable when using 176 or 192 kHz sample rates (this is true with any Pro Tools|HD system regardless of whether an expansion chassis is used or not).
For more information about expansion chassis setup and requirements, please see the Expanded Systems Guide.
The Digidesign Expansion|HD package includes the following components:
• Digidesign Expansion|HD chassis: 4U, 19-inch rackmount enclosure
• Expansion|HD cable: 5-meter cable to connect the host card to the Expansion|HD chassis
• AC power cable
Qualified Host Computers
Please Note: The Digidesign Host PCIe Card (PCI Express host card) is currently not qualified with Pro Tools|HD systems for Windows XP. Pro Tools users on Windows XP should use the Digidesign Host PCI Card option for the Digidesign Expansion|HD Chassis.
Digidesign Expansion|HD 6 Slot Expansion Chassis with Digidesign Host PCI card
• Apple Dual Processor Power Mac G5 (PCI slots)
• Apple Dual Processor Power Mac G4 (Dual 1GHz or higher Mirrored Drive Door or FireWire 800 models)
• Dell Precision Workstation 690 with Dual-Core Intel Xeon Processors
• Dell Precision Workstation 670 with Dual Intel Xeon Processors
• HP xw8400 Workstation with Dual-Core Intel Xeon Processors
• HP xw9300 Workstation with Dual AMD Opteron Processors
• HP xw8200 Workstation with Dual Intel Xeon Processors
Digidesign Expansion|HD 6 Slot Expansion Chassis with Digidesign Host PCIe card
• Apple Mac Pro (Intel-based desktop)
• Apple Dual or Quad Processor Power Mac G5 PCIe (PCI Express slots)
• Digidesign-approved Apple dual-processor computer with PCI or PCIe slots
• Digidesign-approved Windows dual-processor computer with PCI slot
• Pro Tools|HD or Pro Tools|HD Accel PCI system
• At least 1 GB RAM in the host computer
• Pro Tools HD 7.1 software or higher
Pro Tools|HD (for PCI) Cards Only
• The Digidesign Expansion|HD 6 slot chassis does not support Pro Tools|HD (for PCIe) cards, SCSI HBA cards, video cards, FireWire cards, or other special-purpose cards.
• HD PCIe (PCI Express) cards cannot be used in an expansion chassis with Mac or Windows systems
• Pro Tools|HD (for PCIe) cards must be installed in an Apple Intel-based Mac Pro or PowerPC-based Power Mac G5 with PCIe slots, or an HP xw8600 Workstation.
• Pro Tools|HD PCI and Pro Tools|HD PCIe cards cannot be combined in any system
• All Pro Tools|HD cards must be installed in the chassis. Pro Tools|HD cards cannot be installed in both the host computer and the Digidesign HD|Expansion Chassis.
Due to buffering requirements in Expansion|HD, which increase efficiency between the host and chassis, some aspects of system performance are affected in the following ways:
• There is a slight decrease in the number of instances of certain RTAS plug-ins.
• There is an increase in the monitoring latency of RTAS virtual instruments. This is most apparent when playing instruments in real time and is compensated for upon playback. The hardware buffer size preference can be used to adjust the amount of latency, but the minimum amount is 256 samples (achieved by a setting of 128 in Hardware Buffer size).
Logic Pro with Expansion|HD Chassis
Logic Pro 7.2 DAE is supported with the Digidesign Expansion|HD 6 slot expansion chassis when used with the files included with the installation of Pro Tools HD 7.1cs4 or higher (including Pro Tools HD 7.2 and 7.3) for Mac OS X for PowerPC. However, the ESB and EXS24 features are not supported with the Expansion|HD chassis.
Please Note: Logic Pro 7.2 is available from the Apple website ( www.apple.com/logicpro). Although Logic Pro 7.2 is a universal version that runs natively on both Intel- and PowerPC-based Mac systems, Logic Pro 7.2 is not yet compatible in DAE mode with Pro Tools HD 7.3 or Pro Tools HD 7.2.1 for Intel-based Mac Pro systems. Customers using Pro Tools HD 6.9.x and earlier software must use Logic Pro 7.1 or earlier.