The Sontronics STC-1 is a very affordable small-diaphragm pencil condenser microphone that can outclass mics costing significantly more, featuring a removable cardioid capsule for optional polar patterns—comes in black or silver.
So, you can’t find that old Austrian pencil condenser for hi-hat on the vintage market (or don’t want to pay a lot for old electronics), but need a great pencil condenser for hi-hat, acoustic guitar, or other percussion instruments with high-frequency response, such as triangle, bells, glockenspiel, marimba, xylophone, your trusty bianzhong, and so forth. Perhaps you simply need more cowbell (and who doesn’t?). Look no further than the Sontronics STC-1, recording’s current “it-mic” for fast-transient capture and incredible detail. The STC-1 is a small-diaphragm condenser that’s as affordable as it is sonically satisfying, and best of all, thanks to Sontronics’ lifetime guarantee, it’s a mic you can keep forever—and once you hear it, the only thing you’ll want is another one, which is why the STC-1 also comes in matched stereo pairs as the STC-1S,
Sontronics STC-1—Just the Facts:
- Small-diaphragm condenser mic
- Cardioid pattern
- Ideal for direct-miking instruments and percussion
- Comes with mic clip and foam windscreen
- Add the optional Hyper or Omni capsules for greater versatility
- Covered by a lifetime warranty
Sontronics STC-1—Behind the Grille
Like all Sontronics mics, the STC-1 is designed to do its job on a pair with the best mics out there, only without the sticker shock. The best-selling STC-1 is a small-diaphragm pencil condenser microphone that’s ideally suited to recording instruments of any kind, from acoustic guitar to flute, trumpet, bongo, or violin (don’t forget the bianzhong).
Thanks to its three-stage filter (0, -10, -20dB) and pad (0, 75, 150Hz) switches, the STC-1 is one of the most flexible microphones in its class, providing impressive, professional studio-quality results at an affordable price, able to throw down against, and outclass mics that cost many times more.
The STC-1 has a fixed cardioid pattern but the capsule head can be removed and replaced with Sontronics' interchangeable Omni or Hyper capsules (also available in black or silver) to turn one mic into three! With the Omni capsule fitted, the STC-1 becomes the perfect overhead or room mic, ideal for recording ensemble, drum kit, piano or group vocals. With the Hyper capsule fitted, the STC-1 takes on a much more focused pickup range, which is ideal for hi-hat, acoustic guitar, and harmonica.
Available in matte black/gold or nickel silver/black, the STC-1 is supplied in a velvet-lined wooden box with a mic clip and foam windshield. Like all Sontronics microphones, the STC-1 is covered by a hassle-free lifetime warranty.
Sontronics STC-1 applications:
The STC-1 is designed to give outstanding results every time on solo strings, woodwind, brass or percussion instruments as well as guitar and other strummed instruments, and is also perfect for field recording, video and film work, or overhead miking on stage as well as in the studio.
- Acoustic guitar and guitar amps
- Solo woodwinds and strings
- Sitar, bouzouki, and banjo
- String, brass, or wind ensemble
- Video/film and field recording
- Foley work
- In pairs for drum kit, overhead, and room miking
As well as direct-miking various instruments, the STC-1 is fantastic for overhead and room miking, especially when used with Sontronics optional Omni Capsule. And when used in a pair—either two individual STC-1 mics or the stereo matched STC-1S with included mounting bar—it becomes even more versatile.
What the pros are saying about the Sontronics STC-1
- - "On tour, we used STC-1 with the Hyper capsule on hi-hat and it was amazing. I could hear every detail" — Joe Brown, FOH engineer (Extreme)
- - “Fantastic! It gives great clarity and definition” — Mark Joseph, artist-producer
- - "The STC-1 is fantastic for instruments and as an overhead mic. I would never believe you could get so much detail and quality from such an affordable mic" — Xavier Marques, artist-producer
The Sontronics STC-1 is an excellent desert-island pencil condenser that excels on whatever you're recording, and when combined with the Hyper and Omni capsules, gives you even greater versatility and flexibility. Order yours today! For more information, call or chat online with your PAD Studio Specialist.
- Polar pattern: Cardioid (optional Omni and Hyper capsules available)
- Frequency response: 25Hz - 20kHz
- Sensitivity: 12mV/Pa -36dB ±2dB
- (0dB = 1V/Pa @ 1kHz)
- Impedance: ≤200 ohm
- Equivalent noise level: 16dB (A-weighted)
- Max SPL: 137dB (for 0.5% THD @ 1kHz)
- Power source: 48V ±4V phantom power required
- Connector: Three-pin XLR
- Black or silver finish
- Dimensions: 6-3/8" x 15/16" x 15/16" (162 x 24 x 24mm)
- Weight: 7.5 oz. (214g)
- Supplied with: mic clip, foam windscreen