The AMS Neve 2264A Limiter Compressor is a modular version of the 2254/R with similar sonics and improved performance
Making its debut in 1974, the AMS Neve 2264A was yet another instant classic from the drawing board of Rupert Neve. An improved version of the 2254/R featuring advanced circuit design and more precise response curves, the 2264A is a modular design in the same format as the 10-series preamps. And like the 10-series, it’s also designed to be retrofit in 80-series consoles or any rack that fits the 1073/1084 preamps. The 2264A is intended for use on program material in either recording studio or broadcast facility. It can also be used to protect transmitters from overloading when the limiter is adjusted for a shorter attack time. The operational controls and meter are mounted on the front panel of the unit, and there are two preset potentiometers on the rear panel. It comes as either a vertical or horizontal rackmount unit, but the operation of both types of the unit is identical.
AMS Neve 2264A Limiter Compressor—Just the Facts
- Classic mono limiter/compressor
- Available in vertical and horizontal orientations
- Transformer-coupled circuits used in input, bridge-driver, sidechain, and output stages
- Independent limiter and compressor in/out selectors
- Bypass switch connects input terminals directly to output terminals
- Multiple units can be linked together to provide multi-unit side-chain control from a single unit
- Analog meter with approximate PPM ballistics indicates 0dB to 20dB of gain reduction
- Crafted in England by Neve engineers
AMS Neve 2264A—Under the Hood
Crafted in England by Neve engineers, the classic 2264A is available again. Its discreet, Class A/B design and transformer-coupled circuits used in the input, innovative bridge-driver design, sidechain, and output stages ensure a totally unique sound. Not only does it retain the original 2264A’s unique sonic characteristics by using the same architecture, matching components, and original hand-wound transformers as its historic counterpart, it’s also available in both vertical and horizontal orientations. Being electrically and mechanically the same D.L.1 format as the Neve 1073 and 1084 Mic/Pre modules, the 2264A can be inserted into any compliant console or rack that houses the 1073 or 1084 module types.
- Limit In/Out: Toggle switch. Set the switch down to place the Limiter in circuit.
- Compress In/Out: Toggle switch. Set the switch down to place the Compressor in circuit.
- Bypass/In: This Bypass key connects the Input directly to the Output, in effect bypassing all of the unit's circuitry.
- A/IND/B: This 3-position toggle switch selects where the control voltage is to be derived from: either internally (IND) or externally connected to one of two control voltage ganging positions (A or B)
- Limit Threshold: Switched attenuator, from +4dBm to +15dBm
- Limit Recovery: Switched attenuator, notched settings from 50ms to 800ms
- Compress Threshold: Switched attenuator from -20dBm to +10dBm
- Compression Recovery: Switched attenuator, notched settings from 50ms to 800ms
- Gain Make Up: Switched attenuator, runs from 0dBm to +20dBm
- Ratio Compress: Switched attenuator, runs from 1.5:1 to 6:1 in notched increments
- Meter: Shows the amount of gain reduction being applied to the signal, and has a PPM characteristic
- Preset Gain: This gives +/- 2dB to the input to the compression sidechain.
- Meter Preset: This meter preset, mounted on the printed circuit board is used in calibrating the response of the meter at known levels of gain reduction
Limiter Preset: This is used to set the onset of limiting to take place at +8dBm
The AMS Neve 2264A gives you the smooth, full-bodied sound of its classic forbear and sounds great on everything from acoustic and electric instruments to drum bus or entire mix. For more information, call or chat online with your PAD Studio Specialist today.
- Input: 10,000 ohm, bridging, balanced, and earth-free.
- Output: Balanced and earth-free.
- Maximum output into 600 ohms: 26dBm
- Gain: Nominally 0dBm, with +/- 2dB gain variation available by means of a preset potentiometer mounted on the module rear panel
- Compress and Limit thresholds are defined in relation to the output level when terminated to 600 ohm.
- Bypass switch: In the Out position, the output terminals are connected to the input terminals directly
- Control Voltage Ganging Switch: Enables the control voltage to be derived either internally or can be externally connected to one of two control voltage ganging positions. Positions A and B of the switch select these buses while the central position selects the internal control voltage
- Noise (Measured between 20Hz and 20kHz): RMS output noise does not exceed -75dBm with no gain make up, or -55dBm with 20dB of gain make up applied (only when Compress is selected)
- Frequency Response: Relative to 1kHz, response is within +0, -0.5dB over range of 20Hz to 20kHz
- Distortion (Measured at 1kHz, distortion does not exceed the following):
- COMPRESS & LIMIT switched OUT, output level at +9dBm: 0.05%
- COMPRESS switched IN, ratio 6:1, recovery 800ms, output level +9dBm: 0.2%
- LIMIT switched IN, recovery 800ms, input level +20dBm, threshold +4dBm: 0.4%
- Limit Threshold: Variable from +4dBm to +15dBm in 0.5dB steps
- Limit Ratio: Not less than 100:1
- Limit Attack Time: 4ms, measured by increasing the input level 10dB, and measuring the time taken for the output level to decay 1dB above the limit threshold level
- Limit Recovery Time: 50ms / 100ms / 200ms / 800ms / Auto 1 (100ms/2 sec) / Auto 2 (50ms/5 sec)
- Compression Ratio: 1.5:1 / 2:1 / 3:1 / 4:1 / 6:1
- Compression Threshold: Variable from -20dBm to +10dBm in 2dB steps
- Compressor Attack Time: 3ms, measured by increasing the input level 10dB, and measuring the time taken for the output level to decay to 1db above the limit threshold level
- Compressor Recovery Time: 100ms / 400ms / 800ms / 1.5 sec / Auto 1 (100ms/2 sec) / Auto 2 (50ms/5 sec)
- Gain Make Up: 0 to 20dB extra gain in 2dB steps when Compress is selected
- Meter: Indicates 0 to 20dB of gain reduction with approximate PPM ballistics
- Power Supply Requirement: 24 volts at 50mA