The VT-series microphone preamplifiers will change the way you think of audio quality. The transparency is astounding. Vocals sound smoother, warmer, more intimate, with a compelling presence. Any microphone and any sound will benefit from the improved clarity, definition, and lack of solid-state artifacts.
In designing the VT-2 preamp, no compromise in sonic quality, reliability, or ruggedness was permitted. Like the best tube equipment of the 1950s and '60s, the VT preamp is built on a heavy-gauge aluminum chassis, utilizing point-to-point wiring. Each vacuum tube is selected for minimum noise and microphonics, and maximum sonic clarity. The front panel switches control sealed, gold-contact precision relays for all audio switching, eliminating the possibility of dirty contacts degrading the sound and minimizing the internal audio path. Four class-A triode amplifier sections (in two tubes) in each channel comprise the entire active circuit. This surprisingly simple circuit, along with top-quality components and careful design optimization, results in the sonic superiority that the VT preamp has become known for.
New models of VT-2 preamp feature an integrated, switchable 43 dB pad, enabling it to be patched into the Master Buss during mixdown and mastering to provide D.W. Fearn's unique sonic signature to the final mix or mastering process. This replaces the need for the LP-1 Line pad, which was a separate box previously available from D.W. Fearn. The new design now makes the VT-2 a veritable triple threat, equally at home in recording, mixing, and mastering.
- All vacuum-tube design
- Lo-Z input position for superior performance with transformerless mics
- Phase (polarity) reverse switch
- +48 volt phantom power (completely disconnected when off)
- Custom-design Jensen input and output transformers
- 20 dB input pad (switchable)
- True VU meters (amplifier isolated)
- All point-to-point audio wiring
- Gold input and output XLR connectors
- Polypropylene and polystyrene coupling capacitors
- All audio switching through gold-contact, sealed precision relays
- International operation on 100, 120, or 220 VAC, 50/60 Hz
- CE certified, RoHS-compliant
- +4 dBm output
- Conservatively rated precision components and rugged construction for stability and long life